Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019: Looking Back and Ahead

Happy New Year (almost, as I write this)! Time to sum up the year. I wasn't going to do this, because I generally didn't do blog posts this year unless I had a finish--except for Rainbow Scrap Challenge and Throwback Thursday posts. But it is fun to look back and see what I made, and how much. Much more than I thought. How to do this most efficiently. How about some photo collages? First: everything that I finished.
23 projects! I never would have guessed that, because as the year progressed, I felt like I wasn't getting anything done.

So let's break it down a bit and I'll add some links. I finished 12 quilts of various sizes. 8 were donations.
Clockwise from the upper left (click on the name for a link to the related post):
2 Quilts from the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for 2018. (January). These were donated to Margaret's Hope Chest for the Mother and Baby program at Pine Rest Hospital.
Strip Quilt for Hands2Help (May). Donated to Mercyful Quilts.
Butterfly Finish (March) Also made for Hands2Help and donated to Em's Scrap Bag for Quilty Hugs for Happy Chemo.

Clockwise from upper left:
Modern Puzzle (May) Another for Hands2Help, donated to Mercyful Quilts.
Little Wholecloth Baby Quilt (May) One more for Hands2Help, donated to Jack's Basket.
Dinosaur and Floral Wholecloth Quilts (August) Two small comfort quilts donated to the Socorro Foundation.

Four were for myself or other family members.
Clockwise from upper left:
Mi Barca (April) a wall quilt I made for an art show at my church. This will hopefully be part of a fundraiser for our youth group this coming spring.
Gently Down the Stream Bed Runner (November), made for our bedroom.
Atomic Starburst Christmas Tree Skirt (December), aka Holiday Squirrel, commissioned by my daughter.
Chicago Skyline (December), a baby quilt for my grandnephew. The quilt was given to his parents early in the month. He's brand spankin' new, born on the 28th. Yippee. And I can now tell you that he is Baby B, not M as I called him in the post about this quilt.

I also made 11 other projects. 10 of them were donations.
Clockwise from upper left:
3 doll hospital gowns (February), donated to A Doll Like Me.
2 cosmetic bags and 2 sunglass cases (June), donated to the Safelight Project.
3 pillowcases (August), donated to the Socorro Foundation.
Leaf Block (October). This one is for me. 

So there you have them. I haven't included any links to the organizations or any attributions because you can find all the information by clicking on the related links. I do have a link to my finishes in the label on the right sidebar and at the bottom of this post, except that I suspect it's incomplete, but you can go there instead of clicking on each project link.

So here's just a bit more about the year that I think is interesting. Of the 12 quilts, 2 were holdovers from last year (those first RSC quilts). 5 of the quilts and ALL 11 of the other projects were unanticipated--unplanned for, squirrels or DrEAMi (Drop Everything and Make it) projects, made too popular I think, by Sandra of mmm! quilts. Ha ha. And technically, the baby quilt for my grand nephew was unanticipated since I didn't know he was coming until part way through the year.Looks like squirrels ruled this year.

My other finishes for the year were monthly Rainbow Scrap challenge blocks (two kinds) and the completion of a very long series of blog posts of all my Throwback Thursday quilts--the ones I made in the many, many years before I started blogging. If you are interested, there are "RSC19" and "throwback thursday" labels on the right side bar that link to the ones I remembered to label.

So what's next for 2020? I'm not much of a planner, and since squirrels rule, why plan too much anyway? But here's what I know I'll work on:

Those two RSC19 quilts need to be made from all the blocks I constructed throughout the year. I need to finish handquilting my Hollyhocks quiit that's been in the works for more than a year. And I want to construct a quilt from that leaf block I made in October. So I'll start there in January.

Thanks for looking back and forward with me. And have a very happy and very quilty new year.

11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have gotten a lot done this year - happy new year

Linda said...

So many favorites - especially the Butterfly quilt and all the ones you did for yourself or family. My favorite part of your post: "Looks like squirrels ruled this year." LOL!
Have a happy, healthy, and fun 2020!

Louise said...

2019 was a squirrely year, for sure! It sounds like all that spontaneity worked well for you, so perhaps that theme will carry into the new year. It's very freeing to work on what you want, when you want :)

Preeti said...

Thank you Janine for this recap of 2019 - it is truly a feast for the eyes. Although I love all of your projects (no exceptions) I am completely taken by the Chicago skyline quilt - so different and so involved. I am sure it was a labor of love. I am looking forward to your creations in 2020. Wishing you lots of joy in your creative pursuits in this year!!!

Mari said...

You had a wonderful year! It's hard to pick a favorite because I really love all of these, but I think I'm in love with Mi Barca. Such a wonderful quilt! The donations are all so generous, too. I love the hospital gowns! Looking forward to seeing the butterflies done and something wonderful happen with the leaf. On to a great 2020 with our friends the squirrels! :)

QuiltGranma said...

It is fun to see what various bloggers have created in the last year. Love those little hospital gowns! Thank you so much for sharing.

Sandra Walker said...

I know what you mean when you have feelings of hmmm, did I really get very much done? And then you start tallying.... Your tally is a wonderful rainbow of colour and variety! I see such beauty and thoughtfulness and generosity and workwomanship and love here Janine. And here’s to more squirrels in 2020 too!

Bernie Kringel said...

I knew you were getting a lot done! I admire the variety in projects you made this year. Very fun to look through this summary as I remember the stories from each of them. What a beautiful year Janine!
Also, you are such a generous quilter. Thank you for that - your donations make a difference to each of the causes you choose to support.

Kaja said...

Following all those squirrels certainly led to a productive year for you and some really beautiful quilts for your chosen causes. I hope that working so spontaneously works just as well for you this year.

Sandra Walker said...

Wow you really had a productive year, and look at all the colour! And variety! I think the Chicago one and the butterflies RSC one are my two favourites! Here's to 2020!

Love Of Quilts said...

Lots of pretty quilts. You had a good year.