I busied myself with cutting out all the background I needed for my butterflies, and I even marked the diagonals to make future piecing this year go faster. I added the backgrounds to the partial blocks I had already made. That was a real sense of accomplishment.
Without realizing it, I was making a decision while I sewed. I would make blue crumb blocks, and I would make the bottom wings of blue butterflies (the top wings will wait for July, which is light blue).
So, on to the crumb blocks, again with low-ish contrast. They still need to be trimmed to size, but that will come later.
Here they are with some of the other blocks mixed it. Love 'em!
I really wanted to lay out all of the blocks so far, but I was doing this on my deck and it was a gazillion degrees with high humidity and a bajillion mosquitoes, so I only had time for these few blocks. I suffer for my art, but I do have my limits.
I was pumped up about the dark blues and was all ready to make butterfly bits, but then on Wednesday, I was scrolling through some linky parties and came across a post from Carole at From My Carolina Home. It was her annual request for cosmetic bags and sunglass cases for the Safelight Project. These are collected and then used in gift bags along with other personal care items to give to the residents at a shelter for those fleeing domestic violence. I made two bags last year (You can see them here, if you'd like), and recalled that they were easy and fun to make, even for someone who does not enjoy (or is particularly talented at) three-dimensional sewing projects. Well, Squirrel!! I knew immediately what I wanted to do. I had Wonderlust (Paula Naderstern for Benartex) fabric in my "For Donation Quilts" bin that I had won in a giveaway from Sandra (yes, DrEAMi Sandra) last year. I had used the print for one of last year's bags, but had an assortment of marbled solidish fabrics just waiting for the right project. I picked six colors, and because I can't leave a basic pattern alone, made bags with an inserted color strip. I quilted a few lines in each bag with Aurifil threads I won in another giveaway a few years ago (little spools just right for small projects) and in no time, I had two sets of bags for Safelight.
Oh, and here they are again with the linings showing.
|Sorry about the wrinkled lining. These were folded close overnight. They look okay in person.|
So, back to the RSC scrap sewing. I did get those butterfly bits finished last night.
Eventually there will be light blue upper wings to go with them. And brown bodies, too. Here they are with some of their friends. Only some. Mosquitoes, you know.
I love the little green dots dancing around them.
So my scraps and squirrels are done! (For now, anyway,)
I'm linking up with Sandra at mmm! quilts for DrEAMi (Drop Everything And Make it!). And with Angela at So Scrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday. And (tomorrow) with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!
I hope you are having fun with your scraps and squirrels. (And if you have an urge for a fun, quick, caring project, do check out Carole's post to make a few bags for Safelight. There are also some other neat ways to help out)
(I'm not affiliated with any company, so when I mention products, services, or stores I'm just documenting what I used or liked.)