Saturday, October 26, 2019

Black Crumbs and Other Scrappy Fun

Ooh, just realized it's the last Saturday of the month. I've had these little patches done for a couple of weeks but no time to blog. Anyway, here they are--the last of my rainbow crumbs for Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2019. I don't have a lot of blacks in my stash, especially when I left out most of the tone-on-tones that looked mostly solid, so these crumbs are a bit repetitious, but that's okay. There are some interesting prints. The photo's not great. It's very dark in the house today, so I put took these in front of the slider door to the deck.
Here's one with some of its friends and the background fabric (in the upper left) that will be the sashing. 
These will get trimmed down to about 5 inches (or 5 1/2 if I can manage it) before sashing. There are 48 blocks in all. 

I hope to finish the RSC19 quilts by the end of the year, but that may be pushing things a bit, as I have some other things going. 

I have been sewing, but one project I can't show right now. It's so hard not to share, but all will be revealed eventually. I can show you a bit of a squirrel that crossed my path this month--well, not literally, although that does happen from time to time. And it fits in with this post as it is a scrap project. Mostly. In the middle of it, I ran out to buy one tiny bit of fabric--the yellow one with large gold dots on the left--because I felt like it needed something a little more dramatic than I had on hand.

Here's what part of the process looked like. I drew a pattern on graph paper and then made templates from freezer paper using techniques I learned from Ruth B. Mc Dowell's books. This is my favorite kind of piecing--like a puzzle. And this one has the added dimension of a flap for the central vein and stem. I think I'll add more blocks from time to time with other leaves, flowers and natural elements, but I don't have a real firm plan at this point.


So that's it for this week (month?). Today, a great big squirrel dropped into my inbox in the form of a pattern and request from my daughter for a Christmas Tree skirt. Ooh, part of it is foundation pieced! This is just in time, since I can't share the other project I'm working on. 

I'm linking up this week with Angela at So Scrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap. And since there is a little squirrel here, I'll also link up with Sandra's next DrEAMi (Drop Everything and Make It) party at mmm! quilts

I hope you're having fun playin' in the scraps.

(I'm not affiliated with any company, so when I mention products, services, or stores I'm just documenting what I used or liked.) 

15 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your little patches! I too hope to be done with my RSC by the end of the year - I need to pick out two more colors to finish mine up though so picked gray and black and had to order some bits so I have enough to finish - they should get here Monday so finally I can get back to it this week. The main blocks shouldn't take long but I want a piano key border too - I think I will do wide pieces for that so it will go faster maybe?
Hard to believe the time change is next Sunday already!

Pink Rose said...

Wow lovely blocks and your leaf is so pretty,love the golden colours,well done my friend on your beautiful work xx

Chantal said...

Came in for black crumbs and got blown away by a leaf. That leaf is absolutely gorgeous! Wow! Can't wait to see what comes next. Enjoy! ;^)

Lin said...

I love your leaf block - very effective. xx

KaHolly said...

Your little blocks are scrapalicious, but that leaf is awesome!

Susie H said...

That leaf is amazing. Love the colors. Love the design of it. Gorgeous!

Mari said...

Black crumbs makes me think of Oreo cookies! Though your black crumbs look great, they are definitely not Oreo-ish. I *love* the leaf and I hope you make a bunch more! It looks so cool. I love the veining especially.

Silvana said...

Bellissimo il blocco con la foglia, dove hai trovato il disegno? Ciao complimenti....Silvana

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your crumb blocks are always fun to see, and I love that background fabric! I've never thought to use my black bits for crumb blocks, but I definitely have plenty of them!

Louise said...

Oh! Your leaf is so lovely!! And what a perfect autumnal inspiration piece, too. It looks freshly plucked off the tree :)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

That little leaf block is amazing. I too hope there will be more. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Linda said...

That leaf! Your "dramatic" gold dot is perfect for it.
We do get some large squirrels from our daughters, don't we? And enjoy every minute of making them. :)

QuiltGranma said...

L-O-V-E that leaf! Will the quilt that gets these be just Autumn, or spring green then summer green as well? Perhaps a leaf skeleton for winter? Oh the ideas and the places you can go in the mind's eye!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a lovely leaf block!! Best of luck on your daughter's Christmas Tree Shirt.

Sandra Walker said...

I like seeing posts on IG but when I come to the laptop and get glorious quilty eye candy like that leaf much bigger, I could just swoon! Beautiful work, as always. Great crumbs. I hope to finish my RSC stuff up too!