Friday, April 26, 2019

Mi Barca

A few months ago, during a service at our church, we sang a song called "You Have Come Down to the Lakeshore." The song was originally written in Spanish by Cesareo Gabarian and is often referred to as Pescador de Hombres (Fisher of Men). This is not a song from our denomination's tradition (although it is in our latest hymnal in both Spanish and an English translation by Madeleine Forell Marshall), so I was not familiar with it. But the service and the gentle tune and lyrics of the song, calling everyday people to follow Jesus by serving others with love and commitment would not let me go. I knew that one day I would make a quilt inspired by it. I had a vague idea of what I wanted to make, based on the line, "On the sand I've abandoned my small boat." (In Spanish: "En la arena he dejado mi barca," which is how I hear the line in my head). Then a few weeks ago, I found out that there is going to be an art show at our church in mid-May to coincide with a local art festival. Suddenly, I knew that I had to make the quilt now. I set aside my Hands2Help quilt and was completely consumed by a new project. Let me show you first, and then I'll tell you how the idea went from idea to reality.

I grabbed a piece of scrap paper and made a quick little sketch.

Then I collected a whole lot of pictures of boats on Pinterest and found a tutorial for how to draw a boat. I can't access the site now but I drew the boat based on the pictures on the pin
 I traced it and cut out part of the boat to audition some possible fabrics.
Old calculators make good paper weights.

Then I drew another simpler boat.

Next I made a colorful little sketch on a notepad

and multiple little colorful boats to play with based on some fabrics in my stash.

I tried different boats out on the sketch.

I chose my three favorites and made a freezer paper pattern. I figured this would be the most complicated part of the design, and since I wasn't sure what fabrics I was going to use for the rest of the scene, I decided to make all three boats and then pick one from those.

I love this kind of piecing (learned from Ruth B McDowell's books). Just like putting together puzzles.
I liked each of these for different reasons, but knew that whatever I chose for the background would determine which boat I'd use.

Next I went through my fabric stash and auditioned fabrics.


Surprisingly to me, the boat I was beginning to like the best was the mottled brown one--the one I thought was my least favorite.

I bundled the fabrics I had, and headed out to the fabric store to find others that might blend in. 

I went to the solids section of the store first because I was intrigued by the modern look of the solid boat. But I wasn't successful. The stores near me seem to all stock the same set of "standard" solid colors, and there just was not enough range to do what I wanted. So I ended up in the batiks and tone-on-tones--a treasure trove in the store I went to.

I was able to get a pretty good idea of how the scene would look just stacking the bolts on their edges. And that confirmed my choice for the boat. 

I started auditioning fabrics on the design wall

and then on the floor because they got really heavy. 


I used the backs of some fabrics to get the values the way I wanted them. After making all those layers, I realized that it would be easiest to draw the strips on a pattern to control the sizes, keep from getting confused as I took the layers apart to sew them, and keep the lines horizontal. I started with a simple pattern in a piece of newsprint 24 by 18 inches. 

Look closely to see the lines added here.
During the sewing process, I made several of these patterns as I cut them up or covered parts when planning each section. I pieced the water first using the paper as a foundation (easier than measuring and cutting strips). I used freezer paper piecing for the distant hills, and then pieced the sky on the foundation paper. 

Before sewing the sand section, I sketched a quick plan on a grocery list (yeah, old school in this techy age--but I also have grocery lists on my phone, so go figure) in the car while waiting for my husband to do some banking--yes, this quilt had me completely, and no scrap of paper was safe while I was making it.
I overlapped the sand with the boat just a smidge to nestle the boat instead of just having it float on the sand.

I used a layered machine applique "accidental landscape" technique that I learned from Karen Eckmeier's work for the sand. Here's how the three sections looked before I joined the sky, lake, and sand/boat together.

When I basted the quilt, I taped my backing to my 2- by 3-foot cutting mat so that I could use the grid to keep everything square. I used a scrap of Quilters Dream Select Cotton batting, which was just the right size. Then I carefully stitched in the ditch along all of the seam lines. I considered adding some wavy lines in between, but decided l liked the simplicity of the quilting as it was. For once, I resisted quilting something to death. After trimming the quilt to size (the scariest part of the project for me for some reason), I embroidered a few blades of grass--again restraining myself to keep it simple. I had also planned to embroider oars and a chain, but eliminated those as well. I made a sleeve from a scrap of backing and then bound the quilt with a medium blue fabric from my stash. I added my initials and the date, and it was done. And, yes, the song was still running through my mind, a sweet meditation.

Here's the front again, hanging temporarily and a bit clumsily in my living room where I usually have another quilt: 

And the back:

And some details. (Doesn't look squared, but it is!)




I took some photos outside, too. The color is more true, but for some reason this one isn't  as sharp. I guess my phone liked the concrete better.










Oops! Why do I never see stray threads until I take photos?
I enjoy making donation quilts; they are meaningful to me. But they are usually quick and easy. Sometimes I need to indulge myself in the kind of sewing I did this month. It's a passion for me that is hard to explain. I love the challenges involved as I try to translate an idea into an image, working within the confines of materials available. I'm looking forward to displaying this quilt in my church's art show, and then I might offer it for a fundraiser for the teenagers' upcoming summer service projects. 

As you know, I still have two boats left. It would be a shame not to use them somehow, so there may be more art quilts to come...

Although I knew I was going to make this quilt sometime, I didn't know I was going to derail some other projects and work obsessively until it was done--and with several weeks to spare before the show, too! So I think it qualifies as a DrEAMi project (Drop Everything And Make it), don't you? I'm linking up (tomorrow) to Sandra's linky party at mmm! quilts for those squirrels that just don't let us go. I'm also linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop and Wendy's Quilts and More for Peacock Party.

Okay, gotta go. My Grands will be here any minute. What's got you obsessed this week? 

25 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks great!! I don't think I have ever dropped anything and did that!! - I will have to let an idea come to me and go with the flow sometime

Nancy A. Bekofske said...

A lovely quilt for one of my favorite hymns in the new hymnal!

Nancy A. Bekofske said...

A lovely quilt for one of my favorite hymns in the new hymnal!

Sandra Walker said...

I love your posts Janine. I sip on my coffee and travel along with you to the fabric store, wait with you in the car while your husband is in the bank, peek over your shoulder while you sketch on that grocery list, sit on the floor while you start putting it together. Thanks so much!!!! You know I LOVE reading about the process, thinking about and documenting my own so thank you for taking the time and the photos to walk us through this quilt with which you were obsessed this month. Finally I get to see what 'the' boat (from IG when you asked which one) is doing, and btw, I love how you buried a bit of it in the sand, so lifelike. As soon as I saw the photo at Sarah's (Confessions) linkup I wondered if it was you as I love your lake pieces. Finally, the first thing I thought of when I saw your first photo on my screen is 'oh! that looks like the view from the harbour at Traverse City with those distant hills...' Beautiful beautiful work and piece of fine art.

Auntie Em said...

I really enjoyed following along with you on your journey from start to finish. Your quilt is lovely and the sentiment behind it, reflecting the song verse makes it all the more special.

Janice Holton said...

Janine, that was such a GREAT post! I really enjoyed how you shared your entire process from beginning to end. And your project turned out beautifully! Now THAT is what I call an art quilt! I just love the ombre sky effect (gorgeous blues) that you achieved and your boat nestling in the sand is just perfect. You should do more DrEAMI's! :)

Janice Holton said...

Janine, that was such a GREAT post! I really enjoyed how you shared your entire process from beginning to end. And your project turned out beautifully! Now THAT is what I call an art quilt! I just love the ombre sky effect (gorgeous blues) that you achieved and your boat nestling in the sand is just perfect. You should do more DrEAMI's! :)

Janice Holton said...

Janine, that was such a GREAT post! I really enjoyed how you shared your entire process from beginning to end. And your project turned out beautifully! Now THAT is what I call an art quilt! I just love the ombre sky effect (gorgeous blues) that you achieved and your boat nestling in the sand is just perfect. You should do more DrEAMI's! :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh, Janine, that is amazing! I loved hearing about the inspiration for your piece and reading through all the details of how it came together. All the boats you made - wow! And the landscape - with those hills off in the distance - another wow! This is really beautiful!

Kathleen said...

I will have to look up that hymn! I love this quilt and love Karen's technique...a reminder I need to do more of those.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi JanineMarie! WOWEE! I would definitely call you a fabric artiste with great talent. I absolutely LOVED reading the whole process you went through to make this perfect piece. The choices . . . oh, I could just see where the sand was damp as opposed to being dry. And the thin land line moving into higher peaks, along with the depths of the water getting dark. Just marvelous. It would be a shame to let those other two boats not find their spots in fabric history, so I look forward to where they end up. Of course, it may not be for a bit . . . but great things are worth awaiting. This is definitely a DrEAMi project, and I'm so happy I got to see and read about its creation. Happy Saturday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

PaulaB quilts said...

Everything you do is very thoughtfully and carefully done, Janine. The finished quilt shows your attention to detail. I like the way the boat is nestled into the sand dunes. Whoever ends up owning it will treasure it, I know. Congratulations on a wonderful finish.

Jenny said...

What a wonderful little quilt! I really enjoyed reading bow you went about it, thanks so much for sharing.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm fascinated by your process. Thank you for sharing it in such detail. The resulting quilt is SEW stunning!

Helen said...

I love reading your thought processes and watching the progress. What an artist of fabric you are!

Louise said...

Now that's what I call getting a song stuck in your head! That musical boat came in at high tide and got stranded on your creative beach until you could free it with a wave of fabric and thread. And look at it now! I love it! My favorite part is that you made THREE boats. In my world, we call that "stocking critical spares." Gotta have extras because they are just that important :)

laughing gas quilts said...

Love your boat by the water! It certainly is an excellent result of a lot of creative decisions. Thanks so much for sharing your journey with it.

Linda said...

Absolutely beautiful quilt! This is the first time I've heard of a song inspiring a quilt. You have inspired me to try sketching my ideas again. I used to do that when my kids were little, and I had so little time to do anything, yet I did everything! Now that I have the time, I've forgotten to listen to that inner creative voice that "would not let me go" as you said.
I agree with everything Sandra wrote in her comment - she said everything I was thinking. Your posts are like good stories to me, I never tire of reading them. I'd love to see a photo of your quilt in the art show!

Cathy said...

I used to make crazy quilt blocks inspired by songs, but never a whole quilt. That is one beautiful and stunning quilt! Now I want to look up that hymn, because I’m not familiar with it. Anyway, your process and post was so interesting. Sometimes the simplicity of a design belies the many painstaking steps involved. You are amazing!

Cathy said...

I used to make crazy quilt blocks inspired by songs, but never a whole quilt. That is one beautiful and stunning quilt! Now I want to look up that hymn, because I’m not familiar with it. Anyway, your process and post was so interesting. Sometimes the simplicity of a design belies the many painstaking steps involved. You are amazing!

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

What a great post! You did a terrific job documenting your thought and creative process and once again have inspired me to do art quilts. I've already purchased all of Karen Eckmeier's books because of you. Sometimes it's the small projects that gives you a bigger sense of accomplishment. I hope if you do decide to offer it as a fundraiser, it receives a nice amount for the service projects. Love the binding and of course I love the other boats.

Mari said...

I just love this whole thing! First, I love your sketching, which is a real skill that I don't have. I love how you chose your fabrics, too. And the finished piece is stunning. I love the boat and the sand and the water. And the hills in the distance! This is fantastic work and may inspire me to make an art quilt of my own. I'll have to look up that hymn-- it's obviously inspirational! :)

QuiltGranma said...

love it!

Preeti said...

Oh Janine, this is not a blogpost. This is a detailed tutorial. It tells anyone with basic sewing skills to take a picture and turn it into a piece of art. You rock and your little piece is packed with beauty and joy!!!
As far as songs inspiring quilts is concerned, I am on the same page :-)

HRH-DMK said...

Wow, Janine ... everything that Sandra Walker said in her comment. Your art quilt is beautiful, the sentiment behind it even moreso. I adore the detailed look at your creative process. I just found you via a link from Sandra's DrEAMi post, and I must say, your blog will now become my new favourite. On a day when I sit remembering my Mom who passed away less than two weeks ago, and watch on Facebook as they post videos from the youth bereavement camp where my nine-year-old nephew just went this morning (we lost his father, my younger brother, to cancer last October), i needed something visual, touching and meaningful to stumble upon. Turns out, that is your blog post about leaving you boat to follow Jesus. Now my own "squirrel" will be tracking down that hymn! Thanks for this post, Janine
~Diana, A new fan from Toronto