Saturday, June 29, 2019

Scraps and Squirrels

Through much of June, I hemmed and hawed about what to do about dark blue for Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC19). I have tons of dark blue in my stash, but I wasn't sure I wanted to use it. I had fallen for the candy colored blocks I had already made and thought dark blue might weigh them down. So I did what I always do when I can't make up my mind--avoided the decision. Instead, I went shopping for the background fabric for my butterfly blocks. As is my habit this year, I limited myself to one local shop (saves on time and gasoline, and makes sure I spread the quilty love around the local small businesses). I had a preconceived notion of what the background should be, but there wasn't any of that kind of fabric available that fit my notion (retro floral print). Well there was, but not the colors I needed. So I went with something I wouldn't have thought of: a simple white with random yellow-green dots. 
I busied myself with cutting out all the background I needed for my butterflies, and I even  marked the diagonals to make future piecing this year go faster. I added the backgrounds to the partial blocks I had already made. That was a real sense of accomplishment. 

Without realizing it, I was making a decision while I sewed. I would make blue crumb blocks, and I would make the bottom wings of blue butterflies (the top wings will wait for July, which is light blue).

So, on to the crumb blocks, again with low-ish contrast. They still need to be trimmed to size, but that will come later.

Here they are with some of the other blocks mixed it. Love 'em!
I really wanted to lay out all of the blocks so far, but I was doing this on my deck and it was a gazillion degrees with high humidity and a bajillion mosquitoes, so I only had time for these few blocks. I suffer for my art, but I do have my limits.

I was pumped up about the dark blues and was all ready to make butterfly bits, but then on Wednesday, I was scrolling through some linky parties and came across a post from Carole at From My Carolina Home. It was her annual request for cosmetic bags and sunglass cases for the Safelight Project. These are collected and then used in gift bags along with other personal care items to give to the residents at a shelter for those fleeing domestic violence. I made two bags last year (You can see them here, if you'd like), and recalled that they were easy and fun to make, even for someone who does not enjoy (or is particularly talented at) three-dimensional sewing projects. Well, Squirrel!! I knew immediately what I wanted to do. I had Wonderlust (Paula Naderstern for Benartex) fabric in my "For Donation Quilts" bin that I had won in a giveaway from Sandra (yes, DrEAMi Sandra) last year. I had used the print for one of last year's bags, but had an assortment of marbled solidish fabrics just waiting for the right project. I picked six colors, and because I can't leave a basic pattern alone, made bags with an inserted color strip. I quilted a few lines in each bag with Aurifil threads I won in another giveaway a few years ago (little spools just right for small projects) and in no time, I had two sets of bags for Safelight.



Oh, and here they are again with the linings showing.


Sorry about the wrinkled lining. These were folded close overnight. They look okay in person.
The fabric is so smooth and silky. I just want to pet it. I have bits left over, so I think another set of bags someday will be improv pieced.

So, back to the RSC scrap sewing. I did get those butterfly bits finished last night. 

Eventually there will be light blue upper wings to go with them. And brown bodies, too. Here they are with some of their friends. Only some. Mosquitoes, you know.

I love the little green dots dancing around them.

So my scraps and squirrels are done! (For now, anyway,)

I'm linking up with Sandra at mmm! quilts for DrEAMi (Drop Everything And Make it!). And with Angela at So Scrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday. And (tomorrow) with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap! 

I hope you are having fun with your scraps and squirrels. (And if you have an urge for a fun, quick, caring project, do check out Carole's post to make a few bags for Safelight. There are also some other neat ways to help out)

(I'm not affiliated with any company, so when I mention products, services, or stores I'm just documenting what I used or liked.) 

13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so many pretty blocks - I think I had some of the same blues that you did!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That background with the green dots is perfect for the butterflies! I really like how those are turning out with the different shades of color on top and bottom. Your bags for Safelight are so fun! I made some of those last year, too - I should sew some up this week and send them off to Carole again!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm SEW glad you found something cute for the butterfly backgrounds!! Your local shops appreciate your patronage. What a generous DrEAMI project, too!

Vicki in MN said...

I think your squirrels had a blast playing in your scrap bins again this month! Are you making a set number of butterflies each month? I just adore them.

piecefulwendy said...

Those blue butterflies are going to play so nicely with the others, and I love the little diversion in the midst of your making them. Your Safelight projects are beautiful; so nicely done!

Linda said...

Nice, nice, nice! I enjoy the documentation of your journeys on your projects so very much, especially your squirrels. ;) I remember those bags you made last year, and these are just as spectacular.

Kathleen said...

You sure are having fun. I love the safelight projects and will go see if I can get to any... The butterflies are looking great.

PaulaB quilts said...

You have a lovely collection of butterflies now. The bags are simply stunning ! What a great way to use those smaller pieces. Happy fourth of July!

Jannette said...

Those are really cute squirrels! Thanks for the link to Caroline's project - I'll try to make up a few to send.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Thank you, thank you!! I love how you've done the strips!! I really appreciate the help with the Safelight Project!

Louise said...

I'm so glad you came up with ideas for what you wanted to do. No more waffling! The little bags turned out so great! What gorgeous fabric. And I love that you set aside your winnings specifically to use for donation projects :)

Sandra Walker said...

Isn't it funny how our minds churn making decisions in the background while we sew, mostly unaware, in the foreground?! Those dark blue butterflies will match the dark/lime green ones so well, and I do love that polka-dot background fabric you found. But the DrEAMi! Yes! So good, such a perfect interruption it was, and yes, I could pet, not I could lick that Benartex fabric because of the hand and the swirly print. I will have to check out the tutorial for these.

Preeti said...

I must have been living under a rock on Mars to have missed this gorgeous colorful post. I love everything here - the wildly colorful pouches are to die for!!! That inserted color strip is just so wonderful...like the one rogue strip in each of your RSC string blocks last year. I LOVE it.