Monday, December 26, 2022

A Bit-by-bit Year

At the end of each year, Cheryl Brickey of Meadow Mist Designs hosts a linky party for us to share our best posts from the past twelve months and offers suggestions for listing them. I like to share my finishes, and since those would be more than five posts, I divide them into five categories. That way I meet the spirit of the party and keep all my finishes together in one year-end post, and you can decide which links you might like to explore further.

For me, this was a year of small projects. They were the best fit for this season of my life. But the neat thing is that small projects do add up to finishes, bit-by-bit. 

1. Placemats I made these all year long going according to Angela's Rainbow Scrap Challenge colors at SoScrappy. I will be donating them to Meals on Wheels during a spring collection. I used mostly leftover strings as well as other scraps (and an orphan block), pieced batting, and pieced backings or small bits from my stash. Perfect project for limited time, with the satisfaction of a finish. Most (or maybe all?) were quilt-as-you-go. If you'd like to read more about them, click on the "placemats RSC22" label on the right sidebar.


2.Throw Quilts I did finish three biggish quilts. All were long term scrap projects, so the bulk of the work was done last year. Two were Confetti quilts from the pattern by Rachel Hauser of Stitched in Color and the other was a Year of Scrappy Triangles, a pattern by Leila Gardunia. If you want to see more, there are labels with both names to click on the right sidebar.



I donated these to Margaret's Hope Chest for the Mother and Baby Program (for mothers experiencing postpartum depression and other perinatal distress).

3. Wall Quilts Both of these projects were squirrels. You know, those projects you just suddenly have to make, so you get right to work and keep going until you are done no matter what else you've been working on. The first was an attempt to quilt through my feelings over the plight of Ukraine, and to send a message to the world--or at least my neighborhood--in support. It was my front door quilt for much of the year. You can read more about this quilt, which was more of an obsession than a squirrel, here.


The other was my most recent quilt, made while I was decorating my living room for Christmas. You can read more about Advent Candles here

4. Other Quilting Projects I got a new phone this year, just a smidge bigger than my old one, so it needed a new sleeve, just a smidge bigger than the old one. You can read about it here.

I also transformed a queen sized quilt into two bunk quilts. A unique way to recycle, repurpose, reuse. You can read how I did that here.


5. A top This was supposed to be a finished quilt, but got squirreled by the Advent Candles quilt. It is basted and ready to quilt, and there are a few days left in the year, so maybe an almost finish? I picture myself hand sewing the binding on New Year's Day. No link yet, but hopefully a post soon.


There are several other projects in progress that I hope to finish this coming year including my Bear Paws quilt and the adding machine tape project. Oh, and there's that four-patch hand piecing quilt that gets pulled out from time to time. But first, I have a baby quilt to make! In fact, I've already ordered (and received!) my fabric this week after spending way too much fun time figuring out a pattern and the colors. Since babies don't wait until other projects are done, guess which project will get priority? 

I hope you've enjoyed another year of quilt making and that the new year will bring you more inspiration, relaxation, and opportunities to brighten someone else's world with your creativity in color and cloth. 

I'm linking up with Cheryl's Best of 2022 Linky Party, with thanks to her for hosting every year.


(Just a reminder: I'm not affiliated with any company, so when I mention products, services, or stores I'm just documenting what I used or liked.) 






11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

great looking projects

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your thumbnail of the rainbow of placemats caught my eye, and then, of course, I love all your other quilts, too! You had some beautiful finishes this year, JanineMarie. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the adding machine tape strips in the coming year!

Kelly said...

I like all the projects in your top 5 posts. I’ve just subscribed to your blog so I can see all the other lovely things you make.

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

I love the theme of bit-by-bit - I think we often underestimate how much we can get done this way. Congrats on some great finishes and all the best for 2023!

Susan Smith said...

I always enjoy your "Best of" link with Cheryl & this year certainly didn't disappoint. Ever so productive & giving. I love your candle wall hanging.& the Ukraine door quilt. Thanks for sharing & good luck with the baby quilt. I've another to make too. Take care & hugs from down under.

Cheryl said...

Beautiful finishes, I love the rainbow placemats! Thanks for linking up!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a fabulous rainbow of placemats ready for donation!! Congrats on a great year of finishes!

Karen's Korner said...

I love a good scrappy myself and you have some beauties here.

Kathleen said...

The rainbow placemats are so terrific! I love, too, the ingenious way you used that large quilt and made 2 quilts that will be used and love. You had a fabulous year quilting...and here's good cheer for next year's quilting to be fun, creative and satisfying!

Preeti said...

Bit by Bit seems to be a very appropriate theme for the year that was. Small stitches add up and individual efforts can become a movement. Making beautiful projects is your superpower but taking tasteful pictures is a bonus. Love how the rainbow placemats are displayed. Also remarkable is the placement of red, green, white and blue vases under the Advent quilt. It looks subtle and simple but I know it is thoughtful and deliberate. Thank you for this glimpse into your work. Wishing you inspiration and creativity in the new year. Hugs.

Bernie Kringel said...

As always, a year of gorgeous makes - some big, some little and all lovely. Happy New Year Janine!