I knew March would be monumental for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. My bin of yellow scraps overflowed. Notice the past tense. I worked hard at it, and was pretty successful in using up the scraps. So let's get started:
First up, were the multi-colored scraps with yellow in them for Leila Gardunia's 52 Weeks of Scrappy Triangles. Not as easy as I thought they'd be as the scraps with yellow in are getting down to the odd sized/shaped pieces. In fact, I de-sewed parts of old pieced scraps just to get some of the yellow bits. And you'll notice that some of the fabrics are really mostly yellow. But here are the triangle blocks for this month, and I'm pretty pleased with what I was able to cobble together.
From now on, I hope to work more consistently on the blocks to finish this project quickly. I need to count them up. I think I need 26 more blocks.
Next, I made a quilt-as-you-go placemat--and then another one! It turns out that my yellow bin had way too many strings leftover from another project. The yellows in these placemats are a bit more vibrant than seen here, but the camera just couldn't capture them. I was trying to photograph outside between thin sun and snowflakes. Yes, snowflakes! Nature's April Fools joke.
There were so many strings left, I kept going.
I quilted both of these with some leftover yellow Aurifil thread. They are 17 1/2 by 13 1/2 inches.
After that bit of fun, it was time to tackle all the little pieces for my adding machine tape project. I managed to fill more than 26 feet of tape.
That indoor photo is a bit washed out. Here's a sunnier view of all that adding machine tape fun.
If you've been following this blog this year, you will know that I've also been working on some Bear Paw blocks in solid RSC colors. The centers of the paws are yellow, so I decided to skip making them this month. Stay tuned for pink ones in a few weeks.
After these projects, I still had some biggish scraps left, so I put them in a zip-close bag and set them aside. They bothered me though. There were still too many scraps left from the bin to suit me. And there was also a scrap of sunflower fabric left. I could probably say that what happened next was a DrEAMi (Drop Everything And Make it) or a squirrel, but it didn't feel dreamy in the whimsical sense, and it certainly wasn't a squirrel in the humorous sense. It was more of an urge that I couldn't deny. I just had to make a quilt for my front door with a message to the world. Remember that Bear Paw block I mentioned a few paragraphs ago?It became a seed for the quilt. I made another similar blockand then worked in a haze of obsession, until I had this:The quilt went from more abstract/improv to more planned as I worked, partly due to some missteps. (I don't know: can you have missteps in an improv quilt?) I was thinking of placing the two sunflower blocks next to each other with a flag below them based on this pattern. But the position of the sunflowers reminded me of an abstract nude--not the look I was going for. Then I drafted some foundation paper pieced letters to put along the sides and top of the quilt. I wasn't sure exactly how big the strips of letters would be, but I figured there would need to be some filler squares in the corners, so I cut the small squares of sunflowers (never mind that I forgot seam allowance) and then hoped I would have enough of the rest of the print to make the letters. I had almost enough print, but ended up having to borrow sunflowers from another completely different fabric to make up the shortfall. I'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to identify the alternate fabric. I had to add a bit of blue fabric to the corner sunflowers to make up for my cutting error. I made another Bear Paw block with the mottled gold fabric. I still thought I could put a flag in there for the fourth quadrant, but it just didn't work out, so I made one more gold Bear Paw. I had run out of the background fabric with little green dots, but found one with some blue print that worked fine. I added in bits of white and blue fabric to fill out the main part of the quilt to match the size of the word strips. I forgot to add extra seam allowance to the right side and bottom blue strips, so there are some irregularities, and why everything is a bit wonky along the right edge I have no idea. The final result is more traditional than I had in mind, but I think it works for a front door where big contrasts are important for visibility from the street.
Here are the stats:
I signed my initials, but forgot the date. I suppose I could still add it in, but I really don't care for embroidering 2s, so maybe that's why I forgot.