Sunday, December 26, 2021

Year-End Wrap Up

It's always fun to look back to see what I made each year. I knew there weren't many quilts this year, but there were more projects and other bits, and I still like to have them all in one place, so here goes: Quilts, Other Projects, and Blocks. (Links are attached if you want to read more.)

Quilts 

1. Valued Bear Paws

This was a quilt that was started last year during the Quilter's Color Quest led by Rachel Hauser. At the time I made it, I said that I hoped to make more Bear Paw Quilts this year based on other blocks made in that workshop. Oops. Didn't happen. I donated this quilt to Margaret's Hope Chest for the Mother and Baby Program (for mothers experiencing postpartum depression or other perinatal distress).

2. I've Got the Blues

This quilt was originally intended to be a donation quilt, but my husband claimed it. The pattern is Chain Linx by Karen at Sugar Free Quilts.

3. Positivity Quilt

This quilt replaced the Blues quilt above for donation to Mercyful Quilts, a quilt collection by Bernie at Needle and Foot for end-of-life patients. Preeti at Sew Preeti Quilts challenged us to overwhelm Bernie with quilts and supplied patterns, layouts, tutorials and inspiration.

4. M's Birthday Quilt

This is a present for my brother-in-law to celebrate his 57th birthday (this week). He opened the quilt a few days early and is already enjoying it while visiting my sister-in-law. They sent photos. Yippee! (His smile is cropped out for privacy.)

Other Projects

1. Two pillows for my living room chairs

Both are from shopping my fabric drawers--a squirrel of a project.

2. Cosmetic bags, sunglass cases, and tissue covers

These were donated to Carole from my Carolina Home for the Safelight Domestic Violence Shelter.

3. Three placematsno

These are from leftovers from my Positivity Quilt. I'll be donating them to my LQS for the spring collection for distribution through Meals on Wheels. 

4. Purse for my granddaughter

It's based loosely on a pattern by Aleah at no time to sew.

5. Featherweight Cover

This was another squirrel project made from a piece of vintage fabric I found at a local antique market. Now when my machine sits out in the living room, the mess is a little more organized and prettier.

6. Scrappy Grands Projects


No, I didn't make these, but it sure was fun being with the grandkiddies after a long time apart. I taught my granddaughter how to make an accidental landscape wall hanging. My grandson got in the quilting spirit by making his own quilt block--with tape! During another sewing session, my granddaugher made a hand-sewn tissue cover and I made my grandson a teeny tiny blanket for a beanie baby, but somehow there are no photos.

Blocks

Much of my year was spent making blocks a little at a time for PQs (Potential Quilts).

1. 52 blocks (one each week) in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge colors and the Year of Scrappy Triangles patterns.

2. 48 blocks of the Confetti quilt by Rachel Hauser.

3. 121 hand-pieced 4-patch blocks from my scraps and vintage (by way of having them for so many years) fabrics. 

So...that's 4 quilts, 13 projects (plus the grandkiddie projects), and 221 blocks.

This coming year, I hope to add to the triangles and finish that quilt, finish the Confetti quilt, make more Bear Paw quilts and more placemats, and start fresh quilts with all the new fabrics I collected over the year.

Also, I hear there is another Quilt-Along with Preeti and Bernie for Mercyful Quilts. And who knows what else the year might bring?  

I'm linking up with Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs for the Best of 2021 Linky Party. I know this is more than 5 favorites (but it is 3 sections), and I like to keep all my finishes in one place rather than have multiple year-end posts. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to share.

I hope that all of you will unwrap a new year that's full of happiness, health and time for lots of quilting.

(Just a reminder: I'm not affiliated with any company, so when I mention products, services, or stores I'm just documenting what I used or liked.) 


15 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you accomplished a lot and had a lot of nice finishes here is to hoping for a great new year of projects.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A delightful selection of finished quilts. I especially like your 'valued bear paws' quilt, with the light tones.

Lin said...

It is lovely to look back over the year to see how much has been achieved. Beautiful work. Have a very Happy 2022. xx

Love Of Quilts said...

You have a great collection of works, for a full year of fun.

Mari said...

A beautiful year! All of these are wonderful, though the one for your brother in law really speaks to me. Looking forward to seeing more great things in 2022, especially that Confetti quilt. It looks like it will be quite cheery. Happy new year!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So fun to see what you've accomplished this year, JanineMarie! Lots of great projects! How fun to sew with your granddaughter (and inspire your grandson!) and I'm not surprised that your BIL loved his quilt, too.

Allison said...

That's a great collection of projects and so generous of you to donate and gift so many.

Linda said...

What a productive year you've had! Beautiful projects, The bear claw quilt is a masterpiece, and I especially love your plus quilt. How wonderful it is comforting a family now!

Mel Beach said...

Your finished featherweight cover is fabulous, especially with all those pockets. And I am just delighted to see youth get involved with quilting. Thanks for sharing your time and talents to encourage young quilters!

Bernie Kringel said...

Fun post Janine! It is impressive to look at a summary of all you accomplished! Love the quilt for M and the one that your hubs claimed - both designs are fantastic.

Happy New Year and here's to lots of creativity in the New Year!!

Karin said...

Productive year indeed. Lovely projects

Cheryl said...

Such a productive year, congrats on all of the wonderful finishes! Thanks for linking up and Happy New Year!

Sandra Walker said...

Wonderful post Janine! So nice to see your makes again here - I went, 'oh YA!' on the blue quilt your husband claimed, and I have to say my favourite is the bear paw quilt. Here's to 2022! I am so grateful to have 'met' you and count you as a friend.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, I understand why your husband claimed the Blue quilt, what a beauty! Lovely projects done this year. Love the Grands' scrappy projects ;))

KaHolly said...

You’ve accomplished sew much, it makes my head spin! I’m especially taken with your Confetti blocks and those scrappy triangles! Keeping track is one thing I miss about blogging.