Sunday, August 22, 2021

Positivity QAL Link-up 3: Finish on Location

Lots of photos today. After a year and a half of photos only on the garage or in the yard, I went crazy getting some while out and about. What fun (but also always a bit self-conscious)! My Positivity Quilt for Preeti's challenge to benefit Bernie's collection of Mercyful Quilts has been finished for awhile, but this is the final link-up party to celebrate.  

First, let's get the obligatory garage photos out of the way for documentation.


Closer


The back used up a lot of the leftover fabric.



 



Initials and date. (Marker disappears when washed.)

Okay, let's take her on the road. We decided to visit some of our favorite spots on campus after a carillon concert at our local university. 

A bench near the music building:

A lovely old tree branch:

This spot was striking in the evening sun. I took a closeup, but I prefer this one with the arch of the entryway.
My husband had classes in this building in grad school.

On to the garden by the fountain.

Let's look at the back again.

Don't forget we came here to see the fountain.

We weren't done yet. To get back to our car we needed to walk past the art museum. I have to admit I don't care for this building in this old area of the campus. It's a modern piece of folded metal. I like old brick. But it is an art museum. If you'd like to see the whole museum, click on this link. It is a neat place for a quilt shoot.




How about that Dr. Seussian grass? It matches the green in the quilt.

We stopped at Andromeda, dancing in the median. This is not her best side, but I would have had to stand in traffic. (I know there's none there, but the traffic light was about to change.) If you'd like to see a better angle, here's a link to a photo
So we went to her friend Cassiopeia, my favorite quilt model.
The tee-shirt store behind her was likely a casualty of the pandemic. I feel sorry for the owners and workers, but I think Cassiopeia's surroundings are much improved without the advertisements plastered on the windows behind her. And now you can see the reflection of the campus building across the street. I wonder what she's contemplating this evening.

Here are the stats:
Pattern: A variation of a Plus quilt suggested by Preeti (Sew Preeti Quilts) for the Positivity Quilt Along.
Fabrics: Blues and yellows are mostly scraps from many years of quilt-making; Also some new yardage, especially for the background and backing. (Sorry, I didn't keep track of what they were, but those pluses in the background were serendipitous.)
Batting: Fairfield 80/20. (My machine loves this.)
Thread: Superior Masterpiece in Granite for piecing; Superior King Tut in Temple for quilting, and I think Superior Treasure in Little Prince (variegated blues) for hand stitching the binding.
Binding: Scrap pieced from leftover navy fabrics. 2 1/2 inches cut, double layer, machine sewn to front and hand stitched on back. 
Size: 80 1/2 by 60 1/2 inches before quilting; about 59 by 78 inches after quilting. I forgot to measure the quilt after washing. Oops. But I'm sure it's a few inches smaller each way. 
Machines: Singer Featherweight for piecing; Singer Treadle 115 for walking foot quilting and  machine work on the binding.
Previous posts about this quilt: Here and here.

Here's the quilt all washed and ready for her trip to California. She didn't want to travel alone, so she took a friend with her. 



I hope this quilt will bring comfort to a hospital patient and loved ones. Thanks to Preeti for inviting us to build this collection of quilts for Mercy Hospital and providing all the design ideas, and to Bernie for always keeping us updated on the needs of this special program. I'm looking forward to seeing all the positively wonderful quilts that everyone has made this summer. By the time you read this, the Quilt Along will be over, but the need for quilts goes on, so if you feel moved to do so, you could still make a quilt and send it along to Bernie. The quilt along was spread out for a long time to give quilters time to work throughout the summer, but the quilt sews up really fast, and there are lots of ideas for making/setting the blocks at Preeti's site Sew Preeti Quilts. Or you can make a quilt of your own design or choosing.

Oh, and I did use my bonus HSTs from the snowballed corners in the quilt to make some placemats. You can read more about them in the middle section of my last post here.

I hope your summer has been positively wonderful. Do continue to take care of yourself and others. You know what I mean.

I'm linking up with Bernie at Needle and Foot for our final party. Come join the celebration!

(Just a reminder: I'm not affiliated with any company, so when I mention products, services, or stores I'm just documenting what I used or liked.) 



 



14 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your quilt turned out really well and love how you quilted it. I like all the places you laid out your quilt to get photos - I never think of that!

Mari said...

Great pictures! I love the one with the fountain. Great quilt, too! I love that you used the scrap fabrics on the back. Sure to be a great comfort to someone. You take care, too. Let's be careful out there!

Kathleen said...

A lovely version of the Positivity Mercyful Quilts! I love the photo shoot, so much fun to see your quilt out and about, before it wraps someone in comfort.

Bonnie said...

Your quilt is wonderful. Your photography field trip is inspiring. Love the photos with the statues. I've taken note of how you hang your quilt in front of your garage. That is so much better than hubby trying to hold up big quilts while I fuss with getting pictures. He's always exhausted afterwards! I'll be checking out my garage to see if I can do it too. Your placemats are so very interesting too. Thanks for sharing all of these pics.

Margo Yang said...

I was blown away by your quilt pictures. What a great quilt! It’s really lovely both front and back.

Louise said...

How gorgeous your quilt turned out! I love the sparkly flipped corners and how they add diamonds to the pattern. Super photo shoot, too! Looks like you had a lot of fun posing your pretty pluses :)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your Positivity Quilt, and all the sceneries for the pretty photos! Beautiful placemats with leftovers!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi JanineMarie! Ooh, a photo-heavy post is right up my alley. The garage door photo is just lovely! I adore the little triangles in gold and green, twinkling like stars. That background with little plus signs - could it BE any more perfect????? No. It could not. Lovely quilting, too - not too dense so it's nice and squishy/comfy. Wow - you have a lot of wonderful photo ops in your town/village/city! I am impressed. I am 100% certain that someone will feel all the comfort and good thoughts stitched into every inch of this lovely piece. ~smile~ Roseanne

Bernie Kringel said...

This post reminds me of wayyy back when you would take quilt photos at the university. I felt so comfortable seeing more of these!! Thanks for all the fun pictures Janine! Love the quilt and am feeling so grateful to you for your donation. :-)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is beautiful - and the back is just perfect for it!.
What a great photo shoot it got to go on!! I bet everyone was ohhin and ahhing as they were driving by!! too cool!

Linda said...

This plus quilt turned out so pretty, and I love the back almost as much as the front, especially that main backing fabric. The quilting is perfect for it, and I'm going to have to get some of that Little Prince thread. I loved every photo - I kept saying oh I like this one best! Nice job Janine.

QuiltGranma said...

Love the minimalism look of the back, so striking!

Julie in GA said...

Your quilt is beautiful, both front and back! Loved the photo tour of the campus too.

Preeti said...

I love so many things about this quilt. I love the background with the little pluses happily dancing along. I love love love the pieced backing with the gradation of colors/values. Of course, I love the photos. You know it was your picture of the navy/coral coins quilt (I think) with Cassiopeia which made me want to seek out picturesque locations for quilty photoshoots. I could gush over the layout/pattern of the quilt but then I'd be singing my own praise :-p So I'll get straight to the one thing that I am not thrilled about - the placemats. Seriously, not one but three. Show-off much??? And each on is such a lovely design using just scraps. They definitely upstaged my zipper pouch (angry face). And now I am done. Thank you so much Janine for participating and making two beautiful quilts, because one is a lonely number (I am rolling my eyes). Big Hugs to you.