Saturday, December 18, 2021

All the Colors

Squeaking in here with one more Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC)/52 weeks of Scrappy Triangles post before I change the calendar. I made the last two triangles today because I need to put the sewing mess away for a bit for holiday celebration. Because there are no specific colors chosen by Angela for RSC in November and December (we're supposed to be putting our quilts together for the year--yeah, that's not happening here), I decided to make my remaining 9 scrappy triangles for the year from whatever colors I liked, trying to use mostly multicolored scraps again. 


I think it's funny that I gravitated toward orangish and greenish fabrics. I thoroughly enjoyed the freedom of going wherever the scraps took me, though. So, I now have 52 different blocks, and I can see that I need many more, not only to complete the possible layout but to make a decent sized quilt. (These blocks will finish at only 6 inches.)

I randomly laid out the year's worth of blocks on the guest bed today. The light is poor due to gray skies and snow, but at least it gives you some idea of how the quilt might look. 


This is the layout I keep using, but I might stagger the blocks a bit to get rid of the huge navy areas and have a more zigzag effect. I've seen both layouts online, but I'm not sure of the origin of either. If you know, please tell me so I can make appropriate attribution. Either way, I will need a total of 90 blocks, which means I need 38 more. I could keep going with the RSC colors each month and one block a week, but I'm getting itchy to finish this project, so I'm pretty sure I'll try to make quick work of it in the new year and continue with whatever works. I'll have to pick out my favorite scrappy triangle blocks. I have a feeling that I'll go for mostly triangles with smaller pieces as I'm starting to run lowish on larger multicolored scraps. Anyway, that's the plan. 

I'm still considering my options for RSC for next year. I'd like to continue winnowing the smaller scraps, so maybe I'll do something with the blocks in Easy Machine Paper Piecing by Carol Doak. I also want to do something based on the Bear Paw blocks I made during last year's Quilters Color Quest led by Rachel Hauser. And then there are all the possibilities with the new fabrics I collected most months this year to spice up my stash. Oh, there is also the collection of scrappy placemats I started this year. Maybe I could do something with that. Do I even want to stick with one color each month or shall I make every month a scrappy rainbow? Your guess is as good as mine right now. 

In the meantime, I have my Confetti quilt top to finish up. No photos today, but I am oh so close. I think. I have five more blocks for sure for a 49-block quilt. I could go for 64 blocks, though. Hmmm. So I could be finished very soon or stretch it out a bit to use even more scraps. I also have my little hand stitching project with four-patches, but I'm not in a great hurry with that one. 

I'm linking up this weekend with Angela at So Scrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap.

I'll leave you with a bit of our tree. It's a petite one this year, but I still managed to cram every last ornament on it. 


And a bit of our weather this week. Dandelions on Thursday. What?? In December?


And more seasonable today:


I might do one more post this year of my finishes, but if time gets away, I'll post it early in the new year. Until then, Happy Holidays, however you celebrate! (And do try to stay safe.)

(Just a reminder: I'm not affiliated with any company, so when I mention products, services, or stores I'm just documenting what I used or liked.) 



9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have rose buds (which will die tonight?) and a Black Eyed Susan still blooming - crazy weather - good looking quilt with the scraps - I think I will try to do 3 large ones again this coming year - I'm trying to get the last one finished up this month!

Mari said...

Love all your scrappy bits! They do look very cheery together. You could just make four more blocks and add some borders and have a nice small quilt to donate if you've use up most of what you wanted to use. Just a suggestion! Whatever you decide will be lovely. And speaking of lovely. . .I love your little snowman decoration outside! And your tree is very festive too. Merry Christmas from our house to yours!

LA Paylor said...

snow? you have snow? We have always had snow starting in Sept but not this year. Christmas is to be in the mid 60's thanks to climate change. And no snow. LOVE your ornaments. If I was there I would look at each one and ask where you got them. I collected ornaments when traveling.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your scrappy triangles! They'll have all kinds of layout possibilities. Fun to have a peek at your tree and decorations, too. Merry Christmas, JanineMarie!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely blocks, these are going to be pretty quilts!

The Joyful Quilter said...

No matter the final layout, this is going to be a really cute quilt!

QuiltGranma said...

Looking forward to the final layout, and then the quilting of this beauty!

Linda said...

I love the navy on your colorful blocks - it all looks great together. You have me thinking I need to do some planning for next year. ;)
I love your tree! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas Janine.

Susie H said...

Scrappy Triangles is sweet! I agree -- no matter the size of the tree, more ornaments is BEST! Merry Christmas!