Thursday, October 30, 2014

Throwback Thursday--Baby G's Quilt

This is a new post in a series about quilts I completed before I started blogging. It is my effort to document past quilts with pictures and as many details as I can remember (often not many) about how I constructed them. I'll be posting these indefinitely on Throwback Thursday. 

Today's quilt is one I made for my new grand-nephew G in the fall of 2008. (He just turned 6 last week, and I still can't believe he's that old already. Where did the time go?) I showed his twin sister's quilt here last week. When I found the fabrics with their ribbons and confetti prints, I thought a baby celebration was in order, complete with black tie, so I made a bow tie quilt. The blocks are 8 inches square, which I guess makes the quilt about 40 by 48 inches before washing. It's a pretty bright quilt, but you can get away with that with babies, right?


The quilt is machine pieced. At the time that I made it, I was a hand quilter. But I was also working full time and did not have time to hand quilt items that were needed quickly. So my baby quilts were almost always tied. I tied this one with yellow no. 5 perle cotton. The batting is Mountain Mist polyester. The backing is simple, but I wasn't messing around with pieced backs at the time. (I sure hope those wrinkles washed out.)



I'm linking up today with My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday.

Oh, and if you read my post yesterday, you might like to know that I spent my day mindlessly unsewing and watching lots of home improvement shows, but I replaced all the blocks that bothered me and we're all good now. I'm happy again. 

3 comments:

Cathy said...

It's too cute and perfect for a baby boy! I love traditional blocks in bright fabrics. Adorable!

DianeLoves2Quilt said...

Love the bright colors you chose to go with that super cheerful black swirly fabric.

Louise said...

How fun to revisit your older post! I don't think I've ever seen a bowtie where the focal fabric was the background like this. Very nice!