I forgot to mention in my last post that after embroidering, I added some quilting, just to hold things together (sky, rivet lines on the cladding of the lighthouse and a few lines along the water and dune pieces).
To finish the block, I added the white border. I wanted the material to be thick enough to support the whole picture in the frame, so I doubled the width of the border strips, sewed down the center of each one when attaching it and then folded it back toward the edge. Then I attached the binding, bringing it all the way over to the back, so it doesn't show on the front. This gives a clean finish and allows the quilt to be displayed without the frame if desired. It also makes the piece neater unlike other ones I've made that are a total mess under the frame.
The picture is 4 by 6 inches (6 by 8 with the border). All of the fabrics are cotton, with a scrap of cotton batting. If you'd like to see how it got to this point, you can read about it here and here.
My finished lighthouse quilt picture will be a birthday present for my sister-in-law, who grew up not far from the lighthouse and still visits it each year for family pictures. (Shhh. It's a secret. She doesn't know about my blog yet.) It will join another quilt picture that I made for my brother a couple of years ago, representing the two lights by Muskegon, Michigan, where he likes to sail.