Sunday, October 26, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival Entry 1

I'm linking up today with Blogger's Quilt Festival from Amy's Creative Side. I wrote a post about this quilt a few days ago. I guess I could have updated that one, but I'll do a quick one here to make sure I don't do something wrong with my entry. I don't usually name my quilts, but I've decided to call this one Reminiscence.



I started this quilt in February 2013. It's based on a video clip I made on a mild, snowless day in January 2012. I was impressed with the dramatic clouds, lighting and spare landscape and wanted to interpret the scene and preserve the memory in fabric. I machine-pieced the top using freezer paper piecing techniques I had learned from Ruth B. Mc Dowell's book Piecing Workshop. Since that time, I've been hand quilting it, mostly while on vacations away from my sewing machine. I just finished it. It seemed neverending for awhile, but now I kind of miss working on it. The quilt is cotton with a polyester batting. It's 24 by 41 inches. I added ceramic buttons made by Sandra Lance for some embellishment and a touch of reminiscence of another time. 






My quilt is small, hand quilted, an original design and scrappy (made entirely from leftovers in my stash), but I've decided to enter it in the art quilt category. That label makes me squirm (fraught with controversy), but the quilt is a not-easily-duplicated design from my own photo and it's not something you'd think of snuggling under, so for me, it's an art quilt. 

I'm entering another quilt in the ROYGBIV category. I'll do a separate post about that one. 

Now I'll spend the rest of the week enjoying everyone else's quilts.





15 comments:

Teresa Duryea Wong said...

This is definitely an art quilt. Well done. I love the fractured quality of the pieces. Such a peaceful setting.

dolores said...

This is beautiful! I especially love those little pops of brighter blue and the shadows! Great job!!

Frederique said...

I love this quilt, and the buttons!! Beautiful trees, I found your quilt very relaxing

~Diana said...

Beautiful! Feels like a walk on a crisp, winter day!

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

What a gorgeous art quilt! I especially like the branches against the sky. Well done!

Corinnea said...

Beautiful! I want to look at it closer!

spin-kreativ said...

Beautiful ... I love it

Hilary Florence said...

I have great respect for those who have the patience to hand quilt! This is lovely piecing and I love the choice of fabric for the sky. A beautiful memento of your day.

JanineMarie said...

Thank you!

Quilting Babcia said...

Beautiful quilt! I think it fits the art quilt category perfectly!

CathyH said...

You did a great job! What a lovely quilt.

Aoife said...

Really lovely and perfect for the art quilt category! I love the branches of the tree particularly in two shades, and the bend in the road :)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Lovely and congrats on your win! :) :)

Teresa Duryea Wong said...

Congratulations on winning the art quilt category! Enjoy this moment.

JanineMarie said...

Thank you so much! And congrats on yours, too. Wow! You must be beside yourself!