Tuesday, January 30, 2024

SAHRR 24 Border 2

Well, that prompt was a surprise. I'm participating in the Stay at Home Round Robin (SAHRR) hosted by Quilting Gail and her friends, who give us a prompt each week to add a border to our initial block or panel. We are on our second week of adding borders, and our prompter this week is Anja of Anja Quilts. Her prompt? "Use 2 colours." (Or in my case, colors, as I'm in the US.) That was it. And then she said we could use whatever design we wanted.

I will admit that at first I was a bit...disappointed, I guess? I had envisioned my quilt as having bits of many colors sprinkled throughout. I really didn't want to pick just two of them, and have those steal the show. What to do, what to do. And then I had it. This is what's great about these prompts. They nudge us to use our creativity in ways we might not have expected. The answer suddenly seemed obvious: black and white backgroundish fabrics to set off whatever colorful bits might come next. And in no time at all, I had this week's finish.


I knew that I wanted to make a 6-inch border on two sides of the quilt. I have some good sized pieces of striped and polka dot fabric leftover from other quilts as well as some long strips of a floral cut off from from a backing. I cut the stripe at 1-1/2 inches wide to finish at 1 inch. The floral was just wide enough to cut 4-1/2 inch wide strips to finish at 4 inches. I cut the polka dot at the same width as the stripe. 


Can I say I'm really tickled with how the miter came out on the stripe? I sewed those striped borders at the corner first, starting about two inches away from the corner and then mitering them before sewing the rest of the length of the strips onto the quilt. It just seemed easier to do that to make sure the stripes would match up. I also basted them before machine sewing to make sure they stayed in place. I'm not mitering my other borders (unless I use the stripe again) but the stripes just look neat that way. 

The whole quilt now measures at 28 inches square (plus seam allowance). Thanks to Anja for a prompt that stretched my thinking! I'm sure the colorful bits will be back in another round, and those black and white prints will also come back into play. (Hmm, striped binding, maybe?)

I'm linking up with Anja at Anja Quilts, where we can all cheer each other's progress this week. You can read about the beginning of the SAHRR at Quilting Gail here, where there are also links to the other hosts who are giving us our weekly prompts. 



(Just a reminder: I'm not affiliated with any company, so when I mention products, services, or stores, I'm just documenting what I used or liked.)

12 comments:

Kathleen said...

I love your second round and really love the striped miter - perfection! It is soooo satisfying when something like that works out.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks great!

Lin said...

Mmm yes, stripes do need a mitre and yours is perfect. Great idea to use black and white. xx

Jannette said...

Those are the perfect fabrics for this round! Most bright colours would potentially overwhelm your center block and the dainty border on the other side - these fabrics support the block. And the nitre? Absolutely perfect - well done!!

Bernie Kringel said...

Great use of the two color prompt. I love the colorful and the black & white sides of the block. I was also surprised by the prompt from Anja but I like it.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love black and white prints like that - what a great way to use the "two color" prompt! This is looking so fun, JanineMarie!

Mary said...

Your second border looks absolutely amazing!

piecefulwendy said...

Sometimes you just have to think on it a bit and then a great idea shows up! I love the addition of the B&W, and that mitered border - I hope you did a little happy dance at how that matched up! Nicely done!

Mari said...

This is so great! I love the black and white print, and I laughed when you said you basted the stripes. I do the same thing! It makes them match. Can't wait to see what comes next!

Sandra Walker said...

I agree that this seemingly simple prompt caused me some stretching of the creative brain. The mitred corner is terrific; I don't see many mitred borders these days and I always think for a stripe, small or wide, solid or floral, it looks best.Jinny Beyer always says you want a little black in your quilts. :-)

lynn said...

Your border provides a stop and start place for your colours. The eye can rest there and be ready for the next colour pop. Great thinking outside of the box.

Chrisknits said...

I love how you interpreted the prompt!! It's perfect.