Monday, January 15, 2024

SAHRR 2024

I'm doing it. Joining the SAHRR this year. What is that, you ask? It's the Stay At Home Round Robin that Quilting Gail has hosted for the past several years. Usually in round robins quilters begin a quilt by making a block, and then they pass it around to other members in a group, and each person adds a border before returning it to the originator to finish. But in this round robin, each quilter begins the quilt and then keeps adding borders at home following a different prompt each week from a group of quilters selected by Gail. Check out her introductory post here to find out more about this year's SAHRR. 

I have always enjoyed seeing the resulting variety of quilts. So it's time to join in the fun. Here's my starting block.

This block is from four Bear Paws I made during an online color workshop I took from Rachel Hauser in 2020 to keep myself sane while staying home during the pandemic. You can read the details about them in my blogpost from May 2020.  At the time I tried a layout of this larger block, but I wasn't sure that I'd use it that way in a quilt. When I decided to join SAHRR this year, I knew that I did want to use this layout. I had just enough leftover background fabric in my scrap bin to make the sashing. I also used a square of the black print fabric in the center that I auditioned way back when I made the originals. I did do some surgery to replace the two yellow claws with ones in a slightly darker shade because I didn't want them to fade into the background.

This block is 14 inches square, which might be big for the beginning of a quilt with the potential of six borders, but I'll assess things as I go and make adjustments if needed. I have no plan at this point, which makes me a tad bit nervous. I'd like to use only fabrics I have on hand for the top, but I'm leaving myself open to buying more fabric. I'm eager to see where this quilt is going. 

Thanks to Gail for hosting this fun way to begin a new year. And to her helpers who will inspire us with their blocks and prompts for the borders. I'm linking up to the first linky party here at Quilting Gail.

Hey, how does a SAHRR sound to you? Are you ready to join the fun, too?

(Just a reminder: I'm not affiliated with any company, so when I mention products, services, or stores, I'm just documenting what I used or liked.) 




11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

good luck with it

Quilting Gail said...

Thank you for joining the SAHRR!!! Your block is very pretty! I LOVE the scrappy look! And, thanks for linking up!

Bernie Kringel said...

I remember when you took this class. So many colors in the bear paw block - this should make it a little easier to use fabric from your stash - maybe?? I am joining in as well. It will be a fun time - all of us sewing together!

Lin said...

A good start and I can see this being a lovely colourful quilt. xx

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Why a cute starter block, Janine!!!

Sandra Walker said...

I think this is a great starting block size, and I have a penchant for bear paws of any size :-) Love the rainbow effect too - lots of potential!

piecefulwendy said...

The Bear's Paw block was one of the first blocks I made when I started quilting, so I'm very partial to it. Yours is a beauty, and a great choice for the SAHRR. I will enjoy watching your progress! Thanks for joining in with us!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really enjoyed following along when you participated in that color workshop, and loved all the different things you did with those bear paw blocks. It will be fun to see how your SAHRR develops with this center block!

Mari said...

Very cute starter block! Lots of potential, and great colors, too.

Kathleen said...

This will be a fun one to work on! I can't wait to see how it develops into a beautiful top.

Angie in SoCal said...

Sharp, clear and colorful center block. Great all around. Thanks for stopping by my SAHRR center block post.