Thursday, February 8, 2024

SAHRR 24 Border 3

This week's border in the Stay at Home Round Robin (hosted by Quilting Gail) is brought to you by the prompt from Emily of The Darling Dogwood: Triangles. I hoped at some point in this project to include some flying geese, so I jumped at this opportunity. 

Sorry about poor lighting. The sun shone all day until I was ready to photograph.

I thought at first of making long strings of them with foundation paper piecing. I love that technique, connecting all the geese in one process. Making geese to finish at 2 by 4 inches seemed right to keep the proportions similar to other parts of the quilt. But to do that I might need to add some borders to bring up the total width of the round to 6 inches (my plan for this quilt), and I didn't really want to make more plain borders this week. So I decided to make migrating geese instead. That would mean making individual geese, but oh well. 

I printed out free patterns for the geese from Fresh Lemons Quilts.

It's been awhile since I've done sew-through-the paper piecing, and I forgot to cut my smaller fabric triangles generously before sewing them, so I had to really take care to get the seam allowances right. It took lots of time to sew them all up, but it was so satisfying. My points were precise and my sizing stayed accurate. 

I needed to come up with some way to turn the corner, so I brought some black back in and some of the prints from my first border and made a square in square with some flying geese around it.


I found a lot of the white geese bits in my scrap bins--even triangle shaped scraps-- and was thrilled to find some of the fabric that is in the background of my starting block: that gray abstract sun print. 


Here's how the back looks with the foundations. I plan to leave them in at least until I attach the next border to keep everything stable. 

I've only taken a glimpse of what the rest of you have made for this round, but I did notice some of what I call "Peaky and Spike" triangles, named by a quilter whose name I no longer remember who is sadly no longer with us. It will be fun to see what others have done with that kind of triangle, as I haven't used them often myself but have always admired them. Be sure to check out the linky party at Emily's website (The Darling Dogwood) to see what everyone is up to, and link back from that to see other rounds. 

Until next week, happy quilting. 

(Just a reminder: I'm not affiliated with any company, so when I mention products, services, or stores, I'm just documenting what I used or liked.) 


13 comments:

Betty C said...

It is looking very nice with your colorful fabrics. I like all those triangles.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

It looks great! I had never really like foundation piecing but I have found it sure does help with accuracy! I think the quilter known for Peaky & Spike was named Darlene but don't remember the last name

Laura K said...

The geese border looks so good with the rest of your quilt. I like the way you contrast multi-color medium value fabrics with neutrals.

Bernie Kringel said...

This is so pretty Janine! The migrating geese look fantastic but as always, it is your colors that impress me. So - balanced - for lack of a better word. Your skill in choosing colors inspires me. This is going to be very pretty when finished.

Jannette said...

This quilt just gets more wonderful with every step!
(I believe that "Peaky and Spike" were the creations of Doreen Speckmann)

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

So colorful and compact!!! I love it!!!

Mari said...

I really love this Janine! I love how it's a little unbalanced and the colors are so great. The migrating geese are the perfect choice!

Kathleen said...

The migrating geese are perfect and I do see someone answered the peaky and spike question! It will be fun to see if you keep the off kilter approach as you continue...I really love the way it is turning out.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your geese border is really neat, Janine! I love how you offset them with the squares. Lots of pretty color in your SAHRR, too. This is coming along so nicely!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is my favourite quilt! I love your cheerful colours :)

Allison said...

I do like those scrappy Migrating Geese blocks. Such a neat way to expand the border.

Chrisknits said...

I love the scrappiness of your Flying Geese border. This is shaping up so well.

Emily said...

These are the most beautiful migrating geese I have ever seen! I love it, and your trick for turning the corner is brilliant!