As this month began, I was sure the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color was light/medium blue. You see, I had misread Angela's post last month when she said that blue is such a big color that it would take up two months. In my mind I read two consecutive months. So imagine my surprise to find that, no, this month's color is pink. I had planned to make both pink crumbs and pink butterfly parts, so I got right to work. It was a little challenging. I have a lot of old pinks. If you are roughly my age, you know that means dusty pink/mauve. I am so over those pinks. I like clear pinks now. But--and I just figured this out--I don't have many clear pinks because in my most recent quilts, I have cut my yardage so close, I have almost no modern scraps. I will admit that I had thought of buying some "scraps." But I didn't. And now that the blocks are done, they're not so bad. And I'm also thinking that to replenish my scraps with more modern bits, I should purposely buy a smidge more fabric than I need when I buy something new.
Here are my crumbs for the month:
I kept the contrast fairly low again, leaving out pale pinks and really dark ones. Here is one of the blocks with representatives from the other crumb colors.
And, of course, the butterflies. I had more flexibility with these, so lighter colors and clear prints showed up. Those pink and white prints are some of my favorites. As I was laying these out, I realized I could have sewed the upper and lower wings together. I'll catch them up next time the machine is out. I keep hoping for brown to make its appearance as the RSC color so I can stitch up those bodies. (Hint, hint, Angela)
And here they are with reps from the other colors.
Those little blue wings are a bit lonely, but eventually they'll get their lighter blue partners.
So my July RSC is done! I didn't wait until the last day. Yippee! There is a reason. I wanted to get on to my next project. This one is for our bed. I've meant to make a runner since we painted our room a few years ago. We have green walls about the color of the greens below and a plain ivory bedspread. It needs a little color as well as a bit of extra weight when the weather's cooler (definitely not right now). I went out fabric shopping the other day, and whipped around the store grabbing whatever caught my fancy in the coral, yellow, green and teal ranges. (Unfortunately, my epiphany about buying a little extra did not occur to me until later, so there is low scrap potential from this one.)
I tried to vary the scale, but as usual, I ended up with a lot of smaller, tone-on-tone prints, but I think there's enough variation for what I'm making--Gently Down the Stream by Christina Cameli. I've made two of these before (you can see them here). Two of my fabrics are souvenirs from a trip I took up north a few years ago, and the two darker teals are from one of my grandson's baby quilts. I also bought a piece of Kona Bone for the accent strips. That's a new Kona for me. I needed something just slightly yellower than my usual Snow.
I can't wait to get started. But really I can. I have little kiddies visiting this weekend, so the sewing rooms are now the guest/play rooms.
Okay, I'll be linking up with Angela at So Scrappy for Scrap Happy Saturday and with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap.
I hope you are having fun with projects old and new this month! Catch you later...