Saturday, August 24, 2019

Sew Much Blue

Oh, hey. Yeah, I'm still here. But it's summer. Sewing is sporadic and writing about it even more inconsistent. But I do have projects in process, and I even got to my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blues this week. In keeping with my attempt to create sort of low contrast crumb blocks, I divided my light and bright blues into three groups--well, four, but the lightest ones were left out of my project. Here's what I ended up with:

The lightest blocks are slightly washed out here due to light from a window, but you get the idea. I wasn't real sure about the middle pair. I'm not fond of gray-blue these days, but I have a ton, so I'm using them. 

Here some of them are with representatives of my other crumbs and the (very wrinkled) background fabric that I'll use eventually:
I now have 42 crumb blocks in all. I'm not sure if I have enough variety of the kind of purple I want to use, so I just might use blacks for the last set, as that is the other color in the background fabric. I'll figure that out when the next color is announced. 

My other RSC project was the upper wings of my butterfly blocks. I started them during dark blue month, so finishing them up this month was a snap. There's more contrast between the upper and lower wings in real life.
Here's one with reps of the other colors on the (also very wrinkled) background fabric:

They look better on the bare table until I press that fabric:
I now have 48 butterflies, with one set to go for 56--either purple or red. Again, I'll decide later based on how I feel about my purples. I'll use brown for the bodies. 

So that's it for the month. Be sure to come back next week to see a wonderful squirrel project I've been obsessed with this week. I realized that I also missed a Throwback Thursday post this month, so I'll try to get something going on that, too. 

I'm linking up with Angela at So Scrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh, Scrap! I hope you are finding bits and pieces of time to sew with bits and pieces. And if you live in my part of the world, I hope you are enjoying the last few days of summer. I know there are really a few weeks left, but there's definitely a hint of autumn in the air. Today, it's been cool enough with the windows open that I was able to treadle all afternoon without breaking a sweat. I'm sure it will heat up again, but I love the tease.  

13 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So glad to see your butterflies come out again - I just love them! What size are your crumb blocks? I've been making them, too, but I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with them.

Nancy said...

Your butterflies are fun, and so are your crumb blocks. What size are the crumb blocks. They look small but one can never tell from photographs. I wish I had enough of one color range to make a bunch of blocks like these. Maybe, if I keep saving scraps I will one of these years.

Linda said...

Still loving your butterflies. Looking forward to your squirrel! I read your "hint of autumn" with such envy. We are in a drought in my neck of the woods with 98 and 99 forecast for Tues-Wed.

Vicki in MN said...

Glad to see someone else with the gray blues left in the stash!! I am using mine for donation quilts, which I haven't had much time for this year. I can feel Autumn starting to creep in here too. Not ready for it yet!

Jayne said...

I'm not sure which project I love more! Crumbs of butterflies! The butterflies are just so adorably cute!

Bernie Kringel said...

Like Linda, I am envious of your fall weather approaching. So hot here and usually stays that way at least through September. Sigh.

The butterflies are adorable. That quilt is going to be so sweet!! So will the crumb blocks - love the background fabric. Nice to see a post from you. I know you have been busy which is also fun!

PaulaB quilts said...

The backing fabric for your crumb blocks is so nice because the swirls contrast with the straight lines of the blocks.Your kaleidoscope of butterflies looks like they are ready to migrate. I hope they decide to stay with you instead.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm really liking your Butterfly blocks. It's making me want to go dig in my strings! Looking forward to seeing you finish up the blocks.

Sandra Walker said...

Argh! Do not say or write that 4-letter word around me please.... If it was Alberta to which you were referring with the weather, yup, okay, but here it is positively balmy for at least another 5-6 weeks. :-) Love the butterflies and the image of you treadling away; funny just this am I thought of you, and also thought, as I gazed at the humble that is my sewing space, treadle used as a computer desk and pressing station depending on the current need (eye roll and cry face), that I need to open this baby up, dust her off and read up about how best to get her sewing along again.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

So many pretty blue blocks! Those gray/blue blocks will fit right into your project and soon those scraps will be gone! You can hide so many of those unwanted fabrics in a scrap quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Louise said...

Nice to hear from you! Your blues are looking quite pretty, even the greyed ones. I'm also working on single color crumb blocks. I like the scrappiness with a bit of control that monochrome gives them :)

Love Of Quilts said...

Pretty work in progress!

Mari said...

I've heard other people talking about the "hint of fall" but I'm certainly not feeling it. After fall comes the season which must not be named, too. Like everyone else, I love the butterflies. And the crumb blocks are great! Those grayish blues will fit right in. Nice to use them up, too.