Saturday, June 1, 2019

Orange You Happy?

Knock-knock. Who's there? Orange. Orange who? Orange you happy we got to sew with orange during May? (Groan. I know but I couldn't resist. I have grandkids who are crazy about knock-knock jokes.)

I'm squeaking in during the last week again with my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks. But. I got them done. 

My crumb blocks were a bit of a challenge this month. I have quite a lot of orange in my stash--but many are pale peachy or browny rust. Since I want lowish contrast blocks, I left those out, which did not leave a lot to work with. There were a few brights (my favorite) and some reddish-orange. I sort of separated them and made three blocks of each color group. There were a few that fit into both categories, so those kind of held everything together. I'm not sure about the pearl bracelet fabrics grabbing attention, but oh well. They kind of echo the dots in the fabric I have for the sashing.

Here they are with their friends. (I chose not to include aqua for these blocks.)
Because I had sorted the colors out for the crumb blocks, making my butterfly blocks this month went faster--brights for the upper wings and red-orange for the lower ones.
And here they are with their friends. (Notice no red with these this year. Maybe later.)
I'm really ready to start looking for background fabric for these so I can finish the blocks. Otherwise there will be a whole lot more sewing at the end of the year. They'll look more uniform with the background triangles and bodies added in. 

Now that my planned Hands2Help quilts from the last few months are done and sent out, I may get my next RSC blocks made before the end of June, and then it will be time to find a new project. Well, maybe finish those butterflies. Hmm.

I'm linking up with Angela at So Scrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!

I hope you are having a fun weekend, scrappy or not.


24 comments:

Mari said...

Love your butterflies! It would be super if they could be laid out just like this, though that would mean some tricky sashing. All the blocks look great, and I love the sashing fabric you chose. I used to have a lot of fabric I didn't like, too, so I feel confident suggesting that you could give away the rusts and deeper oranges and feel justified in getting some brighter fabrics. Tastes change! But the blocks remain really cute! :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a lot of neat looking blocks!

Deb A said...

Oh those butterfly's! LOVE them! You did a great job sorting the oranges for all of your blocks. Love how they contrast so well together. Lovely quilts in process.

Terri said...

Love your butterflies. I made some of the plain - easier pattern kind.
Hugs

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on getting your ORANGE scrappy sewing done for the RSC. Best of luck finding a background fabric SOON!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your butterflies are just wonderful! It's going to be fun to see what you do with them!

grammajudyb said...

More and more, I am liking your butterfly blocks. So pretty! My oranges are skimpy now too....not much variety and I even included the peachy ones. Looking forward to blue for June!

Sally Trude said...

The butterfly blocks are wonderful. I think I'll have to make own so the Tiny Tuesday butterfly can have a friend. I look forward to seeing how this will come together!

Lisa England said...

I just love your butterflies! What a fabulous quilt they will make.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lovely flock of butterflies! And aren't crumb blocks fun? Orange has been great, but I think I'm ready to move on to blue.

Turid said...

Yesss to your orange blocks, especially to your butterflies.

maggie fellow said...

i really like making crumb blocks and yours in colors is great idea - the butterflies are beautiful

Louise said...

Your blocks look great! I always struggled to use the pearl bracelet fabric, too. That big interruption of white is very modern, and quite a challenge to make blend :)

Katie Z. said...

I love your butterflies!

Jenny said...

I Love your butterfly blocks, such a great idea for RSC sewing. Do you have a pattern or are you making it up?

Jenny said...

PS meant to say that these blocks would make such a pretty quilt for a little girl.

Linda said...

I love your oranges, especially in the butterfly blocks. I like the pearl bracelets in them too, and yes it goes nicely with that great sashing for the crumb blocks.
I have the same types of oranges as you, and I read Mari's suggestion of giving away the ones you're not as fond of I thought, yes I should do that too. I recently did that with a ton of scraps, so why not fabric from my stash also?

Jayne said...

The crumb blocks are coming along very well! But what grabbed my attention were those butterfly blocks! So cute! I cannot wait to see what you do with these! How big are your blocks? I am swooning over these!!

chrisknits said...

All these oranges and reds are just gorgeous! I need more of these colors in my life!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your RSC blocks are all so pretty. I want to copy them all! Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Lynn said...

Your butterflies are just gorgeous. What a great way to use scraps.

Jo said...

Love this joyful fluttering flock of butterflies!

Danice G said...

Nice orange blocks. One of my favorite colors. I am sitting out of this year's RSC, and enjoying seeing everyone's amazing blocks.

Preeti said...

Looks like I stepped into a botanical garden complete with blooms and butterflies. I love the paisley dots fabric :-)