Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Hands2Help Check-in

Just squeaking in here with my check-in with the Hands2Help Comfort Quilt Challenge 2019 hosted by Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  I completely forgot about doing the post on Sunday. To be honest, I had been distracted by and obsessed with another project this past week. Today I set that project aside and got back to my H2H quilting. Here's what I sewed a couple of weeks ago. 
The quilt is much more vibrant than you see here. At the time I was sewing it, we were having dark, dreary weather as winter and spring were in a battle, so getting a photo was a challenge itself. Spring is starting to win now. (I think.) I bought this strip bundle nearly a year ago. You can read about that in this post.

I knew exactly what pattern I wanted to use. I had originally seen this quilt at Cluck Cluck Sew, but have seen variations of it other places since then. Sarah even did a tutorial for a version in this post to get ready for this year's challenge. I have a lot of thoughts about the pattern and how my version turned out, but I'll save those for the final write-up at the end of the challenge. 

I got down to business with the quilting today. It's going really fast. I started with walking foot work along each seam of the horizontal colored strips, and got that all done. 

Yes, I know they are vertical here, but that's how I saw them at my sewing machine. Next, I'm going to add free motion quilting in the white strips, and then I'll finish the borders. 

This is my second Hands2Help quilt for this year. You can see my other one in this post. I'll decide which goes where later. I'm hoping to do a couple of other quilts, but they might not be done in time for the big party. Doesn't matter, though. They'll be of use whenever they get done. 

If you don't know about Hands2Help please go over to Confessions of a Fabric Addict and read all about it. It's a wonderful project that benefits many people. Every year more quilters participate with a growing number of donations. If you know about the project and just want to visit the linky party, click on the link at the top of this post. 

Okay, I need to stop and tie off and bury 372 thread ends. Not kidding. 

6 comments:

Danice G said...

Very colorful and pretty quilt top. Your quilting is looking so good.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

great use of your scraps!

Linda said...

Love the quilt colors, and your quilting is wonderful.
I went back and looked at the other H2H you referenced, which led me to look at both your butterfly quilt posts, and for some reason I never commented on the one for your grand niece! It is gorgeous with the batiks and the little spots of color in the corners. I looked up the pattern, and in the larger quilt version, the butterflies are much bigger, so now I'm trying to decide if I want to purchase the mini and just multiply it as you did or try the bigger ones. I really love the look of the ones you made. And I hope your little grand niece is thriving!
Thanks for the link to Sarah's tutorial; I have a jelly roll I could use for that quilt - yay! (Squirrel!)

Sarah Craig said...

Very pretty, Janine - even with less-than-optimum lighting!

Louise said...

What gorgeous fabrics! The pattern really lets them shine. This one is on my "to do" list!

Sandra Walker said...

I thought that was one of Sarah's tutorials! I love that roll sewn up like this. and because I'm visiting from the future, I know what project squirrelled away your time!!!