Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Vacation Acquisitions

This was the year I was going to try to use up fabric on hand. And I have sort of been doing that. But no matter how hard I try to reduce, the fabric multiplies. Since I can't share what I've been working on this summer--two secret sewing projects, now might be a good time to share the latest acquisitions, most of which I bought while we were on our recent vacation. 

First, I need to share the cool bundle of fabric that came through the giveaway from Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Moda Fabrics in conjunction with the Hands 2 Help Challenge earlier this year. This is Authentic Etc by Sweetwater. A whopping 33 fat quarters! I love the simple color scheme (black, white and avocado) and the patterns (text prints and dense small prints). This bundle will make a wonderful quilt or two to donate sometime over the next year. So thanks, Sarah and Moda!! I will not fret at all about more than 8 yards of additional fabric in my bins. 

When we planned our trip up to the Upper Pennisula of Michigan this year, I knew that I wanted to stop at at least one quilt shop to get a little something as a souvenir. Just as we were approaching the turn to the driveway of our rented cabin for the week, a simple sign popped up along the side of the road: "Quilt Shop 1 mile." Woohoo!! And what a sweet shop it was. Georgia B's in St Ignace. Actually, along a country road outside of town. You wouldn't know it was there except for the simple sign along the main road. Georgia's shop is in an addition to her garage. 
Now when I walk into a quilt store and don't have something specific in mind to buy, I am completely overwhelmed to the point of purchasing paralysis. And, of course, this happened even though I knew I was going to buy something. But what??? 


I froze. Then--Georgia to the rescue. She saw my dilemma and slyly pulled out a quilt she had made and suggested that if I didn't know what I wanted, why not buy pre-cuts. Now I am not a pre-cut person (except for fat quarters), but I was so taken with the quilt, I knew I needed to buy a set of fabric strips. Georgia was out of the bundles that were were in the quilt, but said she was expecting a shipment within the next day or so. My husband and I returned later in the week. (Oh, did I mention my husband went with me on my quilt excursions? He did!! What a good sport.) Georgia's dog (she has three, but only one was in the store) took quite a shine to my husband. Georgia said her husband had passed away in the last year and that since then, her dog has sought out men who come into the store. The second time we stopped by, the dog ran right up to my husband asking to be petted. So cute. 

While my husband entertained the dog, I made my purchase. It's the bundle on the left: Amorette by Kaye England for Wilmington Prints, sweet nostalgic florals. I'm not making the quilt that Georgia showed me, but I will make a simple strip quilt for donation, along with that fabric to the right of it. (More about that white fabric in a minute.)


Here's Georgia (on the left) helping another customer who is just finishing her first quilt (They both gave permission for their photo here.)

This little shop was such a surprise. Georgia was friendly and helpful and knew just what to do to help me overcome my purchasing paralysis. If you ever get up to St. Ignace, I highly recommend that you drive a few miles west down highway 2 until you see the little aqua Quilt Shop sign and turn right. You'll be glad you did. 

Well, that was not the end of my quilt shop adventures on vacation. Later in the week we drove up to Tahquamenon Falls, which is near the town of Paradise. And we just happened to pass this store:
Paradise is a tiny (I mean TINY) town on the shores of Lake Superior. But this store is big! Lots of fabric, notions, patterns, yarn and other needlework supplies! I didn't get a picture of the inside, but it is lovely and bright. I didn't buy fabric here, but I did buy some good new hand quilting needles. I had a hand project with me on vacation, and the night before I had broken my last good needle. A small purchase, but necessary! Oh, and the store is conveniently located near one of the best fish restaurants we've ever eaten at. 

At the end of our vacation, we stayed a couple of days in Indian River, a cute town at the northern end of the Lower Pennisula. We've stayed there before because it's a wonderful area for bicycling on rail trails. And there is an adorable quilt store right near the motel we like to stay at. I've shopped there before. Here's a photo of The Quilt House from another visit there.
This store has a wonderful array of fabric and super friendly staff. After a quick walk around of the store, I knew exactly what to buy. (Maybe if I go to enough quilt shops on vacation, I'll get used to shopping?) I have already cut into this lovely piece of batik for my secret sewing. 

By this time, we were on our way home. There was one more shop I knew I wanted to stop at: Delphine's in Gaylord, Michigan. I wish this store was in my backyard. I know my local stores have wonderful inventories, but somehow this store always seems to have fresh, new fabrics that I'm sure I've never seen before. Maybe it's the way they are displayed in the light and airy space. (Sorry, no picture.) I really had no idea what to buy, but my husband came across a display with the perfect pattern: a paper pieced lighthouse. This was just right for three reasons. It is a pattern of the lighthouse we visited last fall (Tawas Point), but it is also the same architectural design of the lighthouse we could see from the cabin we stayed at this year. (St Helena Island. We couldn't visit St Helena--it's pretty much inaccessible except by special arrangement on a boat--but we could see it clearly and watch its blinking light at night). It is also the same design of a lighthouse we hope to visit soon (40 Mile Point). So the little quilt will be a souvenir of three separate trips! The pattern is a design by a company called Presque Isle Needleworks. I also picked up a bit of sky fabric and a couple sets of sewing machine needles. 

Well, as we were on our way home, you would have thought we were done. We decided to take a secondary road south of Gaylord for a little way to stay off the main highways. And wouldn't you know it, we passed a small hand-lettered sign that said Quilt Store 1 1/2 miles (or something like that). My husband said, "I guess we're stopping, aren't we?" This little store was actually the extension of a longarm business. A few years ago, the owner started stocking some fabric. It's called "OOOO La La Fiber Creations--Northwoods Quilting--The Best Little Quilt Shop in the Middle of No Where." Big name for a little store. She specializes in blenders, batiks and what she calls "uniques" as well as a lot of little notions. I was pretty much shopped out by this time but wanted to purchase something. I liked the fabrics, but would have had to spend some time figuring out just how to incorporate them into a project. (I have never mastered the art of just "building the stash.") So after a few trips around the shop, I settled on a piece of white sturdy muslin--the one you see with the fabric strips above that I bought at Georgia B's because I knew I wanted to combine white with those strips. 

So there you have them. My latest acquisitions. And visits to 5 quilt shops! All with unique vibes. I really did try to stay practical. (Needles!)  I do want to use up more than I acquire, but I think I'll be able to do a good job of using these up. 

Now I need to get back to my secret sewing. One project is finished, and I'll be able to share it very soon. The other secret project is planned and the fabric has been ordered. I'll put the few days waiting for happy fabric mail to good use on July RSC blocks. Then, if I have to wait much longer, I'll start sewing those strips from Georgia B's together. 

I'm linking up today with Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social.

I hope you get to visit some quilt shops on your travels. I wonder: do you buy for specific projects? To build stash? On impulse? Do you ever suffer from purchasing paralysis as I do? (I hope not.) Anyway, happy travels and happy quilt shop hopping!

(I'm not affiliated with any company, so when I mention products, services, or stores I'm just documenting what I used or liked.) 

.

9 comments:

Linda said...

What a fun trip with those neat shops! And so much more enjoyable with hubby helping you. I’m so glad you had such a good trip.
When I saw your post on IG I thought you had purchased a new vacation home! Lol!

Margo Yang said...

What great finds you made!! I love the first bundle you share so much, great colors!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a great fabric bundle win you got!! that is so neat. All your quilt shop stops look so good too - when I stop at a quilt shop (I have none at home) if it is a really friendly shop I just have to buy something. If they are not friendly I don't feel the need - well last trip everyone was so friendly that I bought at least from 3 shops that I can remember and a couple I barely looked at and walked out!

Bernie Kringel said...

You hit the jackpot with the stack of fat quarters - which is great because you always make so many wonderful quilts for donation. It went to just the right person!!
Each of these shops is so unique - and from the outside, they look really inviting. I would have wanted to peek in too! The lighthouse pattern looks perfect for you. I look forward to seeing your finished block. Great vacation post Janine - thanks for sharing it!

Sandra Walker said...

When I saw this post on Instagram yesterday, my mind went wait, what? She bought a vacation home?! LOL It’s actually something my husband and I have discussed on our travels along beautiful Highway 2 in the UP! We’d love to spend a week up there in the summer but first want to spend some time on the east side of Lake Huron in the Goderich area which is stunning. So many choices; we are spoiled right?! I know all those towns well but we never stop except for gas (eye roll and tears face). I never have that frozen feeling for long but yes I do experience it for a minute or so ha. I am quite well-versed in augmenting the stash...I love lighthouses too and Presque Isle means almost island, a perfect name for a lighthouse pattern; wonder if all their patterns are nautical?

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Perfect vacations, visiting quilt shops ;)) I love the bundle you won, and the fabrics from the store too. I buy fabric when I found a beautiful one, one meter if I have no project in mind, not good for the stash level I planned to keep low ;))

Preeti said...

I believe that it is the little towns that have the best fabric/quilting stores. I buy fabric from Amish Country in Pennsylvania when I go to the Lancaster Quilt Show.
Two secret projects??? You sure know how to keep the suspense :-)

Louise said...

You found some really great fabrics, Janine! Those soft floral strips are so pretty. And your prize from H2H is fabulous! Moda was SO generous with Sarah this year. You'd think I'd be able to visit lots of quilt shops in my travels, but surprisingly not. They have to be close to the water in a place where we can get ashore, and that's often really expensive real estate. Too pricey for little quilt shops, I guess. But when I find one I do try to buy something, often just a fat quarter or two for stash. I know I always need bright blenders, low volume neutrals, and fun novelties :)

Kristin said...

It looks like you had a lovely vacation. Isn't it amazing how those quilt shop signs just pop up and lure you in! =) I went to T-Falls a few years ago-- it is stunning!