Monday, December 31, 2018

2018 Wrap-Up

It's time to summarize my quilting activity for year. I'm not sure how many of these kinds of posts I have done in the past, but I'm not always aware of how much I finish in a year, and it feels good to gather it all in one place, so to speak. 

This year I finished 12 quilts and two tops. Seven of the quilts were donated and the two tops will become donated quilts. Three quilts were gifts and one was sort of a commission/gift. One quilt was for me. I also made three doll hospital gowns, two sunglass cases, two cosmetic bags, and three blocks for donation. And I helped my granddaughter make a quilted pillow in her first sewing experience. There were a few other recent projects--holiday sewing--but I'll keep this list mostly quilt-related.

Here's a quick view of each one. You can click on the title for the link to the blog post, which will also have attributions and other details about the quilt.

QUILTS
1. Quilt for California Two--a twin sized quilt for victims of the Thomas fire in California. (January)
2-4. Doll Quilts--donations to A Doll Like Me. (February)
5. Between the Lines--a twin size quilt commissioned by/gifted to my daughter and son-in-law as a throw for their bed. (April) 
6. SOC (Stream of Consciousness) Quilt--a throw size quilt donated to Little Lambs Foundation through the Hands 2 Help Challenge. (April) 
7.Sir Bear--A kiddie sized quilt, also donated to Little Lambs Foundation through the Hands 2 Help Challenge. (May) 
8. Mariposa Quilt--throw sized, a gift for our newborn grand niece. (August)
9. Saint Helena Island Lighthouse--a mini wall hanging made as a souvenir of our 40th anniversary trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. (August)

10.A's Quilt--throw sized, a gift for our newborn grandson. (September) 
11. Lake Michigan Quilt--wall quilt, a gift to our daughter and son-in-law. (October)
12. Pink and Purple Doll Quilt--a donation for A Doll Like Me. Made mostly from Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2018 blocks. (October)
OTHER PROJECTS
1-3. Three Doll Hospital Gowns--donation to A Doll Like Me. Made from an actual hospital gown I once wore. (February)
4-7. Cosmetic Bags and Sunglass Cases--donated to Safelight, a residential shelter for victims of domestic violence. (April) 

8-9. Blocks for Quilts for Broncos--donation of blocks for quilts for families of victims of a bus accident that took the lives of hockey players in Saskatchewan. (April)

10. L's Pillow--sewing lesson project with my granddaughter. (May)
11. Log Cabin block--donation to my church's denomination to make a quilt representing our congregations across North America for office art. The quilt has now been finished. I'll share it in the new year. (September)

WORKS IN PROGRESS
I'm including these tops because they represent a significant part of my sewing year. They are made from almost all of the blocks I made throughout the year for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I made a total of 88 blocks. There are forty in each of these quilts and the remaining 8 are in the pink and purple quilt above. As you can see, they are basted and ready to quilt. (October/November) 

So that's my year, and a good representation of the kind of quilting I like to do--mostly for donation, but some for gifts and a bit for myself. It's been a good quilting year. Can't wait to see what comes of quilting time in the new year. 

Over the next few days, I'll link these up with the next linky parties at Sew Fresh Quilts, Wendy's Quilts and More and Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

Happy New Year to all!

11 comments:

Linda said...

What a great, productive year you've had! I love every single one of your projects and really enjoyed seeing all of them again. I especially love Between the Lines, Lake Michigan Quilt, and SOC. :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lots or pretty things made this year!

Vicki in MN said...

Fabulous projects. When you do your string quilts are you sewing on a foundation or paper or nothing?

Val's Quilting Studio said...

It's inspiring to see all your work in one post. Happy happy new year and congrats on finishing such a great variety of projects.

PatriciaLud said...

I love looking back and seeing your beautiful work - thank you for sharing your gorgeous quilts!

Sheila said...

I LOVE each and every one of your beautiful, colorful QUILTS! Wonderful post!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I enjoyed revisiting all your quilts, JanineMarie! I remember the one you did of the lighthouse, and particularly love that one!

Janice Holton said...

I see you have a fondness for string quilts! Congrats on so many beautiful finishes! It will be a while before I donate to any charities. I'm still trying to get caught up on making quilts for my own family! Once they are saturated, then I'll have to start spreading the love. :)

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

Wow! You have been busy in 2018. All of your finishes are beautiful, but I think I like quilt number 10 the most because it reminds me of tartan. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

FlourishingPalms said...

You certainly have a generous quiltmaking spirit! I'm impressed that you could find homes for all your quilts. I have way too many quilts, and am resolved to get rid of many of them in 2019. I'm starting by offering 34 of them for sale at our quilt show's "Boutique." Those that don't sell... well, I think Project Linus and a homeless shelter may get quite a few of them. When one lives in a warm climate, as I do, I know I shouldn't be making quilts in the first place... but makers gotta make!

Kaja said...

You had a very productive year, with some really lovely finishes. Here's to more of the same in 2019!