Saturday, December 22, 2018

"Planning" for a New Year




2019 Planning Party


Yvonne over at Quilting Jetgirl is having a planning party for 2019!

I've never planned my quilting year. I've mentioned off and on that I'm averse to timelines having endured too many in my pre-retirement life, so planning and setting goals for each month or quarter or even the year is not me at all. That's kind of funny, because in the rest of my life I am a list maker, and I love the idea of pretty planners. It's also funny because my quilting style is very much a planned (although messy) approach rather than improvisational (although my forays into improvisation have always been fun). I'm probably afraid my passion will become like a job if I make what feel like assignments for myself to fulfill. Really, I like to just make what comes my way, whether it's a gift opportunity, a plea for a donation, or something I'm inspired to try for my home. Anyway, just for fun I've decided to do some "planning" this year. We'll keep it really laid back.

First of all, I had fun doing the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this year. (I suppose in a way that was a plan, but I didn't see it that way. It was just a directive from Angela that I followed each month.) But I did not get the two resulting tops quilted because of other life happenings. So I do know that I want to work on those during January. I even have something of a goal: get them done in time to ship out to my favorite organization for donations before the postage rates increase on January 27. (Penny pinching incentive, but if I don't make it, no biggie.)

I'm on a long-term mission to reduce my on-hand fabric. (Yeah, I guess that's a goal of some sort, too--really just trying not to be a burden to my kids sometime in the future when they have to clear all this STUFF out), so I will probably participate in some way with RSC again, but maybe a bit more informally. We'll see.

I have a bin full of fabric that I have set aside for donation quilts. Some has been given through the generosity of quilters and companies, and some I bought as souvenirs on vacation. I know I will want to use up as much of that supply as I can (see above goal and consider that there are so many needs for donated quilts that it seems a shame to have the fabric sitting in my closet). Here are some of the bundles. There are also a good number of random fat quarters. I have a vague idea of what I want to do with some of these, but am clueless about others. We shall see...

I have some potential quilts to make for family members, and maybe a bed runner for our bed, a long-term hand quilting project to finish (a wall quilt for our living room--my only WIP/UFO), and then there are always those opportunities that pop up anywhere and anytime to make quilts for donation. 

Oh, one other thing. I've been slowly documenting all of my pre-blogging quilts on Throwback Thursdays (first Thursday of the month with Sandra over at mmm! quilts). I do plan (yes, plan!) to finish that up in the first few months of the year. 

I think that's about as planny as I can get. Don't hold your breath waiting for me to get these all done! It will just be fun to get to the end of the year, look back, and see what came of it all. 

Seriously, though, my actual plan/goal is to keep blogging. This past year, my blogging was definitely down. I tended to write a very long post at the end of a project rather than doing in-process updates (except for RSC, which I shared each month). I think that trend started because I was having trouble balancing quilting with blog reading/commenting. (I was also frustrated by the issues some of us bloggers have had this year with commenting access.) I don't think I'm alone. It seems to me that many quilters have reduced or abandoned their blogging or shifted over to doing quick Instagram posts. At least that's my perception. I like looking at Instagram even though I'm not consistent at commenting or acknowledging that I've seen a post. That just gets me back into the dilemma of finding time to sew/quilt/read/comment. Seeing photos of what quilters are making with a brief note is fine, but I do like the detailed stuff, too. And for me, the blog posts are the way I document my quilting history, so they are almost always detailed. But who has time to read (or write) all of that? I have some thinking to do about how to proceed. Writing is an arduous process for me, but I don't want to abandon it, and I hope other quilters don't either. So please join me and keep blogging. I'd love to hear your thoughts about it, though. 

Okay, now I'm going to read what everyone else has planned (or not) for the year. I love to read those plans and see all the quilty goodness that comes of them. 

Be sure to hop on over to Quilting Jetgirl and share your plans/not plans and see what others are doing. (I hear there are prizes involved, but don't let that be your sole reason for sharing.) Thanks, Yvonne, for setting up this party!

One thing I think we all can agree on as far as planning goes: Have a happy, quilty New Year! And make the world a better place, one quilt at a time.


11 comments:

Linda said...

Some of your plans sound a lot like mine. I haven't documented mine yet, but I was just thinking yesterday about doing a "2019 planning" post. After the kids go home this week, I might hop in and add one.
I've gone back and forth on blogging. About once a year I get burned out and stop for awhile, then I'm always drawn back in. I try to keep my blog reading to a minimum, but I have my favorites, and I like to leave comments on most of those. I like the "quick fix" on Instagram, but I don't often "click on link in profile" to find the blog post. Like you I want to document what I do, so I'll keep blogging.
I am looking forward to reading about more of your pre-blogging quilts!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

even though I use Instagram I don't really care for it - to me you do not get to know the person - that comes through blogging I think. Half the time with Instagram I'm not even sure who is leaving a like on my things and or who I am liking! I hope more continue to blog this year.

Mari said...

Fuzzy goals, I love it! Hard and fast goals don't work for me, either. Too much like work. I understand what you're saying about blogging. The commenting and pageviews are definitely down, but I do still enjoy reading blogs, and writing my own, too. I don't find writing to be particularly arduous; the hardest part for me is the pictures. Not great at photography! I enjoy the process posts and reading people who are sewing in real time; not overly fond of the professionals who have everything scheduled months out. They don't feel real. I like more of an "all in this together" community feel. I definitely feel that it's still worth doing, and hope that blogs will make a comeback soon. Everything goes in cycles, so I have high hopes.

I always enjoy seeing what you're doing, so I'll look forward to seeing you in 2019! Have a great holiday!

Louise said...

I like and share your planning philosophy! I think you really nailed it by saying you don't want quilting to feel like work. And like you, I enjoy RSC but it doesn't feel like a plan, which is kinda weird, isn't it? :)

Finding your groove with blogging takes a while, and is an iterative process. I like blogging, but am leaning toward fewer in-progress posts and more summaries after a finish. It's important to blog in a way that feels good to you, as opposed to what seems to be "the thing" that others are doing. Again, it can't feel like work, ha!

Looking forward to seeing what you create in the new year, no matter how you write about it. Happy holidays!

PaulaB quilts said...

My only social networking is blogging. Facebook and instagram are so cluttered. I don’t want to know about a second cousins boyfriend. Love ❤️ the cute sashing on the strip quilt.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm with you on setting goals for quilting being too much like my pre-retirement work life! I love your string blocks and have those in mind for my RSC projects in the new year. And it's always a great goal to plan for more donation quilts - I am trying to do that, too!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Making the world a better place, one quilt at a time, is a plan I can definitely get behind! I understand that setting too many goals can take the joy out of a fun hobby, but I hope that maybe having a framework or idea about what you want to do will be helpful. Time will tell, right? Thank you for sharing and linking up with the Planning Party!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Smiles!!! Please continue to blog....I enjoy our little virtual quilting guild. And like you, I have a stash that can keep me very busy.

Lisa J. said...

Even though you don't like to admit it, I think you are are a secret planner. I'm with you on the no pressure part. As soon as I put pressure on myself it becomes more like a job and I don't want to do it. I do hope you continue to blog and I am hoping to continue along with you. My blog posts also dropped and I understand the struggle to balance quilting and blogging . I am getting a little tired of instagram but it is a good way to keep up with my kids and some of the other folks I don't see often in my life...but I do prefer the blogging platform.

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

I love this post and am still mulling over my 2019 plans. It would be nice if I could copy your post and mark "ditto" next to your thought and plan because there were a lot which resonated with me--especially reducing the stash and being a list maker but not follower. I enjoyed reading your posts throughout the year and look forward to reading them next year.

Bernie Kringel said...

Great post Janine. I was surprised to see your link up on Yvonne's site since I know you haven't been one to set a list of goals in prior years. But these seem like a nice list of what would be comfortable for you to accomplish this year.
Blogging..... definitely takes up a fair amount of time. But I can't see myself stopping. It is such a nice way of interacting with my on-line quilting friends. I would miss it and all of you - so onward I go! Seems like each platform has a different purpose as far as FB and IG and blogging go. My biggest challenge is to balance the time spent on it so it doesn't detract from the amount of time I have to make things.
Looking forward to reading and chatting with you in 2019. Also looking forward to seeing what you come up with for RSC19!! Happy New Year to you and your wonderful family. All the best to you in 2019.