Saturday, October 13, 2018

Dark Green

Well, here we are with the last of my RSC (Rainbow Scrap Challenge) blocks for this year.  Oh, that's not exactly true. More about that in a minute. Anyway, this month's color is Dark Green/Sage.
I have lots of dark greens. They were one of my favorite colors to work with early in my quilting life. 
The problem with those early dark greens is that the dyes were not all that stable, so I've sort of avoided using them in recent years. Still have them, though.
That makes me just a tad nervous about using them in my string blocks this month, but I'm taking the chance. There will be a lot of detergent and color absorbers in the wash after I get the quilts made. And some finger crossing, too. 
I also have some sage greens, so I tried to sprinkle them in as much as I could.

 I actually had these all sewn up in September. (After all, I knew what the color would be.)
I continued to add in other RSC colors in one strip of each block.
I've enjoyed making all of these blocks, but have been eager to make quilts with them. 
As soon as I finished the blocks, I got to work on a couple of quilts.

First, I split my batch of blocks in two. I used half of them (40) to make a simple top. Here is the beginning of the layout, with Kona Snow for the background. That top is finished now. I'll share the whole thing when I have it quilted.

I decided that I wanted a print for the background of the other quilt. I had a print style in mind (see this awesome string quilt by Mari, the Academic Quilter that served as my inspiration) and looked everywhere for something that matched my vision. I finally found a fabric that seemed to work okay. (You can't go wrong with llamas, butterflies and turtles, even if they are all chopped up.) The only problem was that I didn't like how my pink and purple blocks looked with it. So I quickly made 8 more blocks in the other RSC colors to use instead. I had plenty of strips leftover from the other RSC blocks I made this year, so I finished them in a very short time. In my haste, I forgot to take a picture of them, but here are all of the blocks laid out on the fabric. 

I've probably moved blocks around some since I snapped this, but they are well on their way to becoming a quilt top. 

And do I ever have a plan for those pink and purple blocks! 

I'm linking up this weekend with Angela at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh, Scrap!.

If you're taking part in RSC this year, I hope you've have been inspired by your blocks to get them into quilt tops! 

I'll leave you with this Still Life with Scraps, aka my block trimmings. 
Yummy, no?






17 comments:

grammajudyb said...

The vase full of trimmings made me smile!
Loving both quilt tops. Looking forward to the finishes!

Sheila said...

I absolutely LOVE your scrappy, colorful, fun, happy string blocks. Love your ideas and your plans for using them this year! They inspire me with ideas for nest year.
You go girl.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I wouldn't have thought to use the print but I really like it!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

As always, youe string blocks are lovely! Love the accent inside, from all the other blocks! Beautiful string quilts too, can't wait to see them quilted!

Cathy said...

Where to start? I’ve loved your outlier strip blocks all year and am thrilled that you’ll be getting three quilts out of them! Strings are so much fun. I love everything you’ve done, but cannot wait to see your pink and purple plan! And that still life with scraps picture - priceless!!

Cathy said...

I recognize some of those aged greens. I like your idea of adding one string that's a different color. And your strings laid out look like watercolors - a nice effect.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have lots of pretty greens in your string blocks - I see a few from my stash, too! I really like your quilt ideas - what size are your string blocks?

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

I can't wait to see where you go with all these string blocks. I agree with Frederique: Those accent strips are brilliant!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Llamas, butterflies, and turtles--perfect! Love all this string goodness. And the lovely vase of cuttings!
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

PaulaB quilts said...

An excellent finish for all your blocks! The accent strips really do add a spark. I love looking at all the fabrics. How big are the blocks. The trimmings look like potpourri for the eyes.

Run 'n Stitch said...

Your string blocks are inspirational. What a great way to use little scraps.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Still Life With Scraps? Yummy, YES!!! :o))

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Beautiful job setting those string blocks. They look so pretty! Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Mari said...

Well, I'm late to the party again, but I do like your string blocks. And I do like the print with those blocks, though the one with the Kona snow looks awesome. String blocks do make great quilts with so many things to look at, don't they? I'm glad you were inspired by my little quilt, since you've inspired me in so many ways! Have a good week!

Linda said...

Enough for two quilts! Yay! Love that print on the last one. :)

Preeti said...

I love how you have this one rogue strip in each block - a touch of whimsy. This combination of the need to mostly blend in coupled with a desire to stand out just a bit. I love that. When I do make string blocks, I will shamelessly copy that whimsical part. Still life with scraps = YUMMINESS!!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your Still Life With Scraps is perfect! Also love all your blocks and reading about your decision making process. Thanks for sharing it all.