Saturday, July 28, 2018

Really Red

Red is not my favorite color, although I do like it in rainbow quilts. So I wasn't sure how much red there would be in my drawers when I started working on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for this month. 

I thought I would have to include a lot of more purplish maroons.
But as it turned out, I didn't have to. 
I had enough variety with the brights and dark reds.
There were some really old fabrics in there. Do you see calico? From the late '70's!
A few leftover Christmas fabrics here and there.
And, of course, my extra little strip of other RSC color in each block. Funny how that strip almost always ends up in the same position.
I think they turned out okay.
Here they are together.

And here they are playing with all their other RSC friends (Not distributed real well, but no matter. Just playing.) It's so interesting how the new color each month totally changes the whole look of the blocks together. 

I'm linking up with Angela at soscrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap! on Sunday.

I hope you had a fun RSC month if you're participating. Just think: only three more colors to go!





20 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Ohhhh that block collection looks fantastic! Love it!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think it looks really good - I like the design and the variety that you have

Mari said...

Oh, wow, those look great all together! And, yes, only three more colors. The year is going too fast!

Bernie Kringel said...

Wow! Put together I can see an amazing quilt in progress. I am not a huge fan of red either but it does its work when placed with the other blocks. I especially like the red blocks that have the bit of turquoise.

Cathy said...

Wow, those strip blocks with the addition of contrast just get me every time. It makes the block layout look so ... SPICY (for lack of a better word). It’s a beautiful project!!

Kat said...

I really like the way these blocks look with just the one strip of random color in each one.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is turning out so pretty! I love all the color!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What never ceases to amaze me is the big impact of that little alternate color strip within each block. LOVE it!!!

Linda said...

It really is interesting about how each new color block changes the dynamic! I do love reds but oddly I don't have a lot of them. Or maybe it's just that I'm always looking for something other than what I have. ;)

JoanG said...

These strip blocks are wonderful. I love the little pop of another color in each block. This is going to be a spectacular quilt.

Linda said...

Great use of your reds. Love string blocks and these are coming together beautifully.

Cathy said...

That's quite the rainbow! And, yes, I see calico. I believe the red calico with flower buds is the same fabric print I used to make my daughter a dress when she was about four which would be about 38 years ago! Now I'm feeling nostalgic and old!

scraphappy said...

You did seem to find plenty of reds. They warm your quilt up nicely.

Louise said...

I spy a little bit of poinsettia! I love it when a bit of Christmas shows up in a scrappy quilt. Your blocks look great! Are there really only three months left in RSC? What happens in Nov/Dec? I'm such a newbie :)

PaulaB quilts said...

Isn’t it fun to rediscover all those older fabrics? In the photo it seems odd that the red blocks appear darker than all the others. Must be the lighting. Nice job!

Katie Z. said...

Your blocks look smashing!

KaHolly said...

I don’t have a lot of red fabrics, either. Less than you found it your stash, even. They came out great and look wonderful in the mix.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your blocks look so amazing all together. There is nothing better than a colorful string quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

gayle said...

Wonderful string blocks!

Preeti said...

Love the reds and but what I love even more is how you add another color and it a creates extra interest in the block.