Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Scrappily Restless

We're waiting restlessly this week for our grandchild's birth. I've done a little FMQ on the Big Quilt, but not much else. Then I remembered that my favorite quilt gathering organization (Margaret's Hope Chest) has a project going this month that's just right for me to work on. They are collecting long scrappy strips to make into some special quilts to give away. I have a batch of charm squares I received last year in a giveway from Susan Emory at Swirly Girls Design. (Thanks again, Susan!)  I had set them aside for a donation quilt, but wasn't sure what to make. This project is perfect for them along with other scraps I have stashed in baskets in my closet. 



The instructions for the scraps are to cut them 1 1/2 inches wide and of variable lengths of 4 inches or less and to sew them into one long strip. They will be sewn into strip-pieced 15-inch square blocks, which will be set on-point in the quilt(s). 

This would have been a snap if I was an organized scrap keeper with a neatly cut scrap stash. No matter. I happily kept busy yesterday evening cutting my charm squares and odd pieces. Today I'll sew them up and send them on their way. Or maybe make more. It's a good way to pass the time while waiting...

I'm linking up this week with Freshly Pieced and Sew Fresh Quilts. Buttons are on the right. 
Also, Cynthia's Oh Scrap Linky Party on Quilting is More Fun than Housework.

Have a fun week quilting with your scraps or whatever!

14 comments:

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

What a pretty bowl of scraps! - "Still Life in Quilter's Studio" - Makes me think I'd like a grouping of similar photos in my sewing room. The project you're using them for sounds interesting, very colorful and such a good use of everyone's leftover pieces.
Best wishes for the grandbaby's birth.

Cathy said...

You have some fun scraps! That does seem like a good use for those little pieces. Congrats on the soon to be grandbaby!

Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to see what your finished blocks look like. And I hope all goes well with the birth of your grandchild.

Lucy said...

looks like you found the perfect think to occupy yourself while you wait! Lucy x www.crazyforpurple.com hopping over from freshly pieced.

Quiltpiecer said...

Such pretty scraps! Congrats on the new grandbaby! Came by way of Oh Scrap link and am new to your blog. Will be sure to come back!

Rosa said...

Yummy bowl of fabrics.

Ivani said...

Now Just relax and sew,

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

What a yummy bowl of scraps! I can already tell your blocks are going to be so pretty. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap! Hope you come back and share pictures of your blocks. (And hope you don't have to wait too much longer for your grandchild to arrive)

Threeundertwo said...

What a fun event to be waiting for! Your scraps look so pretty in that bowl.

Preeti said...

Congratulations on the new grand baby!!! Guess you will be making a whole lot of blankets, bibs, quilts and more...
Way to use up that scrappy goodness.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Oh I'm excited for you...I cried like a baby when our grandson was born. So crazy wonderful to watch my daughter give birth...as I can easily remember the day she was born and made me a mom! ENJOY!!!! Keep us posted too!!!

Bernie Kringel said...

Mindless sewing to pass the time. Seems like the perfect thing until this baby decides to make an appearance. All the best to the mommy and daddy as they wait too.

Sandra Walker said...

Waiting for a baby is so hard!! I've been on the waiting end as a mother (both girls 1 week overdue) and as a nana, so I feel for you. I absolutely LOVE string quilts; I now have a plastic container just for strips destined for another string quilt. Maybe get into a good TV show? I can recommend one I at first thought um no? Last Tango in Halifax, and another I absolutely loved, Grace and Frankie. Both are on Netflix. :-)

Quilting Stories said...

Congratulations on the birth of your new grandchild! My third grandson was born last week!