Friday, October 16, 2015

Mug Rug Hugs

I was going to call this post restless, because that's what I am this week. I've tried working on other projects but just can't settle down. So last night I pulled out some scraps and fat quarters and started two little projects to try to focus a bit. 

I have a friend who has had kind of a  no, a really rough summer, and I decided she needed a little something just for her, so she could take time to relax a bit. Then I heard from another friend who also has some rough stuff going on. 

What to do? I decided to make them each a mug rug. My inspiration was the neat one Amanda showed last week.



My goal was to make something bright with some yellow, orange and turquoise fabrics I had on hand. Typically, I'd use white, black or gray with these, but I really wanted to use brown. I thought it would make the colors look festive. I went with a Kona cotton--Espresso to be specific. Sounds right for a mug rug, doesn't it? I was going to bind them with a yellow print, but it detracted too much from the other prints. I didn't have enough of the dark brown for binding, so I skipped it. If I did this again, I'd either use a lighter weight batting scrap, stop the batting short of the seam where I sewed the front and back together, or actually bind it, but it worked out okay. They lie flat, and that's what matters. I did the quilting with my walking foot and regular sewing thread. 

Crazy how light shows every wrinkle!!

Here are the backs:



I'll pop them in the mail tomorrow. Two mug rug hugs.

Imagine that! I actually have a Friday Finish!! Maybe tomorrow I can settle down to my other projects.

I'm linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts, Confessions of a Fabric Addict  and The Carpenter's Daughter Who Quilts (TGIFF). It's been a long time since I could say that!





12 comments:

Lisa J. said...

These are really striking. They should help pick up your friends. I really like this design and maybe (I say this all the time when I see things I like) I'll make some.

Quilts and Such said...

Love it! These are great!

Nicole said...

Cute mug rugs! The combo of the prints and solid is great!

Bernie Kringel said...

So pretty and with the brown, they are perfect for autumn! Nice job. 😊

SuperMomNoCape said...

Your friends will love them. What a sweet, kind gift!

Kaja said...

What a lovely thought - an unexpected gift in the post always lifts the spirits. I like this idea too, very effective.

SarahZ said...

How cute, and such a sweet treat for your friends!

liz said...

ditto! Was it hard to "birth" them?

JanineMarie said...

Ha, ha, I'm assuming you mean turn 'em right side out? It wasn't hard, but I would use a thinner batting if I did it again. The points aren't real sharp even though I trimmed, but they're consistent so I'm okay with that.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Visiting from Bernie's blog ....these are lovely and I hope that your precious grandchild arrives soon :)

Danice G said...

So colorful and cute. I just found your post from the Tuesday link party Mug Rugs at Val's Quilting Studio.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wonderful gifts, I like those hex shapes for the mugs.