Wednesday, March 18, 2015

More on Replay

Just a quick one today. I got my Replay quilt all pieced since my last post, and I even used the leftover fabric to piece a wide strip down the back. (I'll show the back when the quilt is all done.) I really tried to use up every last piece of fabric. There are a few extra blocks that I was going to put on the back, but I decided not to. 

This week I'm quilting. I thought I might finish the whole thing, but since I'm doing a kind of fiddly binding, I think next week is more realistic. So far I'm doing the quilting the same way as the first version of this quilt with (wobbly) back and forth lines on the off-white zigzag strips. I will probably meander the rest, although I did make a stylized flower on a practice piece to check my tension today, and it went okay. So maybe...

I'm using Hobbs 80/20 batting this time instead of Quilter's Dream Cotton Select. I like quilting on it so far. I want to compare these two battings for shrinkage before deciding which I might use on a larger quilt. These twin (sort of) quilts seemed to be a good opportunity for that kind of comparison, even though this one is slightly bigger and has a zigzag edge. 



When I'm not quilting, we've been taking some little trips to see the grandkids and to check the status of spring's arrival at Lake Michigan. Here's a sample of what we've seen at the lake.

March 10 (Warren Dunes):
Those aren't the dunes, but frozen waves with sand trapped in them.
Walkin' on water
No open water
March 12 (Warren Dunes)

A bit of open water shows up
March 17 (Grand Haven Lighthouse)

Only a bit of open water. More frozen waves, but not as tall as at Warren Dunes

Okay, that's it for the travelogue. I love the many faces of Lake Michigan, though. 

I'm linking up this week with Freemotion by the River, for Linky Tuesday, Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday,  and Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social. 

3 comments:

Jasmine said...

I love quilting that wiggly/wobbly line. It looks great! Have fun quilting.

Anonymous said...

Amazing how different your March experience is compared to ours on the West Coast. The pictures are lovely but they looks so cold! The quilt is really coming along - the wiggly line quilting is wonderful.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Great wiggle quilting and wow are those some beautiful photos! Definitely looked like dunes to me! We had all kinds of small chunks ice come down the Mississippi yesterday which was neat.