Monday, March 18, 2024

SAHRR 24 Parade

Let me start by saying that I don't do mystery quilts. I don't usually like making something I can't visualize at least in a general way, and I have trouble picturing how fabrics are going to work together if I don't know how they will be arranged. And let's face it, I just don't like not having control over a design. But this--this! I have found the kind of mystery I'm comfortable with. We started this online project with a block or panel of our choice and then added borders or whatever according to prompts each week given by one of the hosts. These kinds of quilts used to be made by making a beginning block and then shipping it off to others to add to as a round robin. I think that some fabric might have been sent along with to keep some cohesiveness in the quilt. (You can imagine the kind of control angst I would have with that kind of mystery and group project.) But during the pandemic, I think, Quilting Gail had the idea for makers to keep the quilt at home and complete it themselves using prompts from other quilters. A Stay At Home Round Robin (SAHRR). Perfect for those of us with control issues. It's become a yearly tradition. And I LOVED it. It was the perfect project to give me the control I wanted but to also challenge me to improvise and design something according to unexpected parameters. 

I’m kind of sad to be all done  But it’s also fun to have a finish I can share. If you want to read more details about the making of this quilt, you are welcome to check out the posts of the last few weeks with the label SAHRR 2024 on the right side bar or at the bottom of this post. I'll hit the highlights here. First some garage photos, because that's how I always document what I've made.

Warm, sunshiny weather! (but a little breezy)


Yup, that back is the same little floral I used on the front. I just happened to find it at the big box store where I bought the original fabric. I had ordered the earlier piece, but there just happened to be a bolt end at the store a few weeks ago, and I snapped it up. I really have enjoyed using this print in quilts over the last few years. Sadly, it's no longer available online (and I just read that that store is struggling and in Chapter 11,which explains a lot about supply issues), so I guess this is the end of it except for a piece I have leftover now after piecing the back. I actually bought enough for two quilts because I have another top that I finished while making this quilt, so you will see it once more in my next post. It's a tiny print, but I did match the seam just because. And buying the amount for two quilts was really practical. I bought 3 quilt lengths worth. I usually buy 2 lengths for one quilt and have quite a bit leftover.

I chose an allover freemotion meander for the quilting. Simple, as there was already so much going on in the pattern. And frankly, I was ready for a quick finish once all the fun of the designing each week was over. I know, some quilters would have had a much more exciting method using custom quilting for each section, but that's not me. And by meandering, I could also avoid any thick intersections. So, let's take a quick peek at the different sections and prompts. I made most of my borders about 6 inches wide, using plain (coping) borders along with the ones that were prompted. From the beginning, I decided to put my starting block off center, with two borders for each round--most of them on the right side and bottom of the quilt. (These photos were all taken after washing, so there's lots of texture.)

First, the center block. I made this during an online color workshop with Rachel Hauser during the pandemic.


Border 1: Signature block, prompted by Wendy at Pieceful Thoughts (I'm going to link to the home pages of the quilters so you can see some of their other projects). I pieced my blocks for more color variety. 


Border 2: 2 colors, prompted by Anja Quilts. I chose black and white, which became sort of a theme for the rest of the quilt. 


Border 3: Triangles, prompted by Emily of The Darling Dogwood. I made flying geese with a reverse palette of background color for the geese.


Border 4: Square in a square, prompted by Brenda at Songbird Designs. This was fun, as I had already included one in the corner of the previous border and dreamed of making more someday.

Border 5: "4," prompted by Gail of Quilting Gail, the genius behind the SAHRR idea. I chose to make groups of 4 colored squares separated by a white square. (I also put another signature block in the corner.)


Border 6: Numbers or letters, prompted by Kathleen of Kathleen McMusing. I really wanted to make scallops and figured they looked like abstract letters (D's, U's, backward C's? Take your pick.)


And then there was also my signature of quilted initials and date in that border, which also fulfilled the prompt nicely. I usually use a blended color so that they don't really show to anyone but me, but since this related to the prompt, I used turquoise this time.

Thanks so much to all of these women for setting this whole project up with the thought provoking prompts and linky parties so we could all share our tops. There were so many variations by lots of quilters. And it was a blast to touch base with each other and learn from each other as we designed our tops.

I'll end with some photos and other tidbits about the quilt. It's mud and grime season here, so not many places to take photos outside.
My quilt finished at 53 1/2 inches square after piecing, 52 1/2 inches square after quilting, and 50 inches square after washing. 
I only bought batting (Hobbs 80/20) and the backing. The rest of the fabric was from what I had on hand. Bigger pieces were mostly from the cut-offs of previous quilt backs or backgrounds. 
I used a combination of traditional piecing and foundation paper piecing (which kept the dimensions fairly even). 
I used binding a bit wider than usual, starting with strips cut 2 5/8 inches wide.

I used Superior Masterpiece thread in Granite for piecing, King Tut in Temple for quilting and Treasure in Old Lace for hand quilting the binding. 
My machines were Featherweight for piecing and Singer 115 treadle for quilting. 

If you haven't been regularly following the progress of the SAHRR, I hope you will be able to find a little time to at least check out the linky party with the parade of all of our finishes at Quilting Gail's blog. And if you ever have the opportunity to join such a project, I hope you will consider it. It is such a flexible type of project that you will surely find a way to make it in a way that is as comfortable or as challenging as you'd like.
I'll be donating this quilt soon to (I hope) cheer a recipient through it's whimsical design, uplifting colors, and cozy hug.

(Just a reminder: I'm not affiliated with any company, so when I mention products, services, or stores, I'm just documenting what I used or liked.) 












21 comments:

Quilting Gail said...

You have an awesome quilt!!! I loved reading through how you tackled each prompt!! Such fun!!
Thank you for participating in the SAHRR'24 and for linking up!

Sara said...

Your SAHRR is fabulous! Very pretty.

mebaker said...

What a lovely quilt finish!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Fab finish!!! Your colors really drew me to your quilt every time! And I love the asymmetric look, too!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love how this one turned out - it is so different than all others I have seen in this round robin

Lin said...

Such a beautiful quilt and looking gorgeous and puffy after its wash. This was great to follow along with so thank you for sharing. xx

Betty C said...

I like all your pretty colors with all the various black and whites.

Jannette said...

I'm with you regarding mystery quilts - I'm a bit of a control freak....
This Round Robin sounds like a great way to get around that!
I LOVE your quilt! It's so bright and cheerful and perfectly executed! The asymmetrical design makes me smile.
Thanks for sharing your design decisions too - I'll keep them in mind (in case I sign up to give this a try next year)!

Janice said...

Love your asymmetrical design. I, too, have control issues and have loved participating in this round robin. Great finish.

Laura K said...

I love your quilt. It is lively and bright yet totally harmonious. Congratulations on your finish. Laura Kate.

Bernie Kringel said...

Janine - I am so glad you enjoyed the process. Your finish is one of my favorites. I love the colors, the small floral and the black and whites you put together. It is such a pretty quilt - wherever it lands, the recipient will be so happy to have it.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is such a beautiful quilt, JanineMarie! Everything about it appeals to me - the colors, the layout, that backing print. And I'm always amazed when you say that you quilted it using your treadle machine!

Kathleen said...

I love your SAHRR! It is fun to step out of the comfort zone and try something new. It will be a delightful quilt of comfort to the recipient...thank you for participating and making one more beautiful quilt!

chrisknits said...

Definitely a fav of all the SAHRRs I've seen!! Great job/

piecefulwendy said...

I hope you smile each time you look at your quilt, because it is a beauty! It has been fun to see your progress each week, and I love the idea of the offset center block!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I absolutely love this quilt. Your design is beautiful and I love all your colourful fabrics. I’ve really enjoyed watching this grow :)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your SAHRR quilt! Bright and cheerful, I also love the center not in the center, and those fun borders ;)

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

I absolutely LOVE your quilt!! I am in awe that you quilted this on a treadle machine!! I remember playing on my grandmothers and actually have an old one in my hallway, just because I love how it looks! Thanks for quilting along with us this year and for tackling those prompts so well!

Kate said...

Beautiful finish! I really like your off center layout for the round robin.

Sandra Walker said...

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing this grow: the bright colours, the unusual set of only doing the round on two sides, the combo of b&w with the brights. Love the crinkly look, eyes widened at the shrinkage (it always amazes me), and my heart swelled knowing it will go to a good home where it will certainly bring joy as well as comfort!

ChezVies said...

This is such a beautiful quilt. I love the striped sashing and the half-circle at the border.