Saturday, February 12, 2022

The Turquoise Bin

I finished my projects for Rainbow Scrap Challenge (hosted by Angela at So Scrappy) early this month, all because the backing fabric I had ordered for two quilts took its time getting here. So let's look at turquoise.

First, I made four more blocks for 52 Weeks of Scrappy Triangles (pattern by Leila Gardunia).

If you want to see the rest of the blocks, just click on the label on the right side bar or at the bottom of this post. I guess I'm on week 60? I'm still following the RSC colors for this, but next month might be the last before I break out on my own and just make all the rest of the blocks. After I get the Confetti quilt finished I'll be eager to finish this one.

Next, I made another quilt-as-you-go strip-pieced placemat. 


If I had been paying attention, I would have positioned those two center strips a little differently. Oh well. These aren't meant to be works of art. I'm just using up old strips. 

I found a piece of aqua for the backing.

It looks kind of solid here, but there's a little light figure in it. I had four (!) solid turquoises to choose from for the binding. More fabric out of the way. This placemat looks quite different from last month's red one. That did not have as much variation in value. I like them both, though, and am looking forward to using more strips this way throughout the year. This placemat is 14 by 18 inches. And the batting is Hobbs 80/20, I think. 

I got kind of carried away with the adding machine tape foundation piecing this month, but I was still waiting for my quilt backing to arrive, so I just kept sewing. Altogether about 20 feet of turquoise scraps!


I was going to sew one long strip, but that was a bit unwieldy. I cut the strips about as long as my sewing table. The colors are more vibrant than you see here. Winter light is tricky for indoor photos. It's either dark (snowing) or way too bright if the day is sunny, and you have a lot of snow (we do). 

It took two cones to roll these strips this month. I'm so glad I have a use for these old cones.

Sheesh. More bad lighting, but that's the way it is.

And now, drum roll, please. This is all I have left of turquoise print scraps. My bin is pretty much empty.

I could have cut these up for the adding machine tape, but they are big enough and versatile enough to easily use in other projects. 

I made more Bear Paws with solids, focusing on turquoise scraps. The solids bin is overflowing, but we'll not think about that right now. 


Still mulling over how that print will come into play. I do have another idea bouncing around, but there will be lots of time to figure it all out. 

Then, just when I got all of this done, my fabric arrived after a long trip through all kinds of nasty weather. It is not as vibrant as the last batch I ordered of this print.


See how the lower piece has more punch? Not a problem as I didn't plan to use the old piece in the backing, but that's interesting isn't it? It doesn't say that this is a digital print, but it is a print that can be ordered with custom scaling, so maybe? I was a little disappointed, but the lighter print is fine for these quilts. I did get both Confetti quilts (Rachel Hauser pattern) basted this week and am about 3/4 done with the quilting on one of them. I'm doing my "Piedmont" walking foot quilting, which is so fun, but there is a lot of thread burying in the evenings. That's okay. It's cold here, so having a quilt to work on in my lap is cozy. Here's a peek at my progress. 
I think those confetti bits are going to look like they're swirling around in a breeze.


Next time you see a post from me, I hope I'll have a pair of quilts to share....Until then, have fun with your scraps and rainbows or whatever else strikes your fancy.

(Just a reminder: I'm not affiliated with any company, so when I mention products, services, or stores I'm just documenting what I used or liked.) 



 



10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

neat quilts - it is kind of fun following along with everyone to see what they make each month from the color selecte

Jennifer said...

your adding tape improv piecing is intriguing- i love the idea! can't wait to see the finished quilt. and the bear paws are interesting, too, and the background. loving your fabric choices!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow! You did a great job of sewing down your AQUA/TEAL scraps!! Sorry about that fabric order being a bit off. Overall, it's a gorgeous print either way, but I'm sure it was a disappointment that it wasn't the same!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Looks like you've been having fun with aquas and teals this month! I love those adding machine tape strips - especially your photo of the rolls of sewn strips - great picture. I need to try that - so many crumb pieces!

Susie H said...

I really like your machine quilting and anxiously wait to see the finished quilt. As for the different shade of fabric, could it just be a different dye lot? The foundation strips are STUNNING!!! I also love that strippy mat.

Lin said...

A nice variety of projects and great to have so little left n your turquoise bin. xx

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You have been very busy! I can't wait to see your confetti quilt. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What great variety of blocks! The adding machine tape strings are my favorite! I'm impressed you are almost out of the aqua color!

Kathleen said...

You are doing a great job with your teal scraps...I better get moving!

Sandra Walker said...

Turquoise is my favourite colour, as you know, well make that blue, and all its shades and hues and tones and variations! I love your placemats (obvi, since I am now doing them too!) I am resisting the adding machine one, just makes my head hurt, ( my hot air balloons do a little of that too) and I don't like sewing on paper. Can't wait for the full reveal of the quilts!