Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Outstanding Blogger Award

Well, I'm flattered. A few weeks ago, Sandra at Musings of a Menopausal Melon--mmm quilts nominated me for an OBA. I laughed at first because I feel like my blog has been running on fumes the last few years. I certainly have not been as prolific as in the early years. Nevertheless, I am trying very hard to continue blogging because I do like having documentation of my quilting journey all in one place. So thank you, Sandra (and anyone else who checks in) for still reading my words and encouraging me. And if you hadn't already been nominated, I would nominate you, too. Your posts about your quilts, designs, tutorials, home reno, your Great Lake, and your sensitivity to social issues are a highlight of my blog reading.

As a recipient of an OBA, I have some questions Sandra would like me to answer. So here goes...

1. Have you made any quilts of your own design? If so, please share. Yes, I make a lot of different kinds of quilts (mostly lap sized ones), but the ones of my own design tend to be landscape art/wall quilts. I'll stick with those for this blog post because I'm too lazy to find anyone I need to credit for ideas for my other quilts. The one I'm most proud of (is that okay?) is Reminiscence--a quilt based on a photo I took at a local park on a mild winter day. I used freezer paper templates to piece it, and I hand quilted it.

2. Have you entered any quilt shows, and if so, which ones? If not, do you have plans to? As far as I can recall, I've only entered quilts in the online Blogger's Quilt Festival of October 2014 hosted by Amy of Amy's Creative Side. I'm still thrilled that my Reminiscence quilt (above) won the viewers choice in the Art category.

A couple of years ago, I entered another landscape quilt, Mi Barca, in a general art show at my church. It's a reflection on a Spanish song, "You Have Come Down to the Lakeshore," particularly the line, "En la arena he dejado mi barca" (translation: "On the sand, I've abandoned my small boat"), a call to leave our daily occupations (pre-occupations?) to serve others with love and commitment. 

And that's it. I find in-person quilt shows overwhelming. 

3.Do you have a mentor, or someone to whom you look up to or have learned a great deal from in your craft? Explain how this person or these people have influenced you. These days I'm inspired by numerous bloggers and instagrammers. I have eclectic tastes, so my social media perusal covers a pretty broad range. I would say that most of my donation quilts are influenced by the posts I read, whether it's a pattern or color or a call for blocks or quilts to distribute. So thank you, quilters!!

In terms of my own designs, I have been most influenced by the work and books of Ruth B. McDowell. Although I've never met her, she has taught me how to design and construct a quilt using freezer paper patterns/templates. I am still trying to capture the abstract nature of her work--the unexpected fabrics and colors--but I'm content to use her techniques to make my own work. Reminiscence was made using her techniques.

Another influence is Karen Eckmeier and her Accidental Landscapes (you can see that influence in the quilt above and below), which I find fascinating as a way to interpret the shores of my beloved state. And that leads me to...

4. Do you find that where you live influences your choices of colour (well, color for me) and design? Can you give examples? Oh, yes. I'm very much inspired by my beautiful Mitten state surrounded by 4 of the 5 Great Lakes. Here's my Accidental Landscape of Lake Michigan.

I've also made some miniature quilts of Michigan lighthouses, which are mostly foundation paper pieced, with some accidental landscaping thrown in.


And I'm inspired by nature, even in my own backyard. One quilt I recently designed includes traditional blocks and my own paper piecing. It's my interpretation of Bear Paw blocks as Coleus plants.



5. What do you do with your makes? (keep, decorate, use, give away, etc.) All of those. My quilts are part of my home environment on the walls and wherever we need a cozy layer, but most of my quilts are given away for celebrations (weddings, births, birthdays) or donation to some favorite organizations to give cozy hugs to people in need. I've also made the difficult quilts to help comfort and heal people after a traumatic or tragic event. Making/giving away quilts is the most satisfying and heartwarming way I know to spend free time in my retirement. It's a celebration, a meditation and a mission. 

I think I'm supposed to nominate some other quilters. Because I've been away from blogland a lot this past month, I honestly don't know who has already received this honor. So I'm going to nominate anyone reading this post. I don't have a question, but I am going to encourage you to keep it up. Keep blogging. It does still have a wonderful place in social media. You are an Outstanding Blogger.




12 comments:

Linda said...

Congratulations Janine - you are well deserving of this award. I’ve been fascinated by your blog for a few years and always look forward to your words and photos. As I look at the photos of your landscape quilts, I’m reminded of what a true artist you are.
I didn’t nominate anyone either. I’d have a hard time choosing from all the blogs I read.

Nancy A. Bekofske said...

Congratulations! And I enjoyed seeing the Michigan quilts. That hymn was one of my favorites in the new hymnal, no longer new lol.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think that award was already going around a month ago and I answered different questions that time. I love all you quilts but the one with the boat I really liked

Vicki in MN said...

I am glad you were picked so we could see these beautiful quilts!! I remember seeing a couple of them before, but not all of them.

Louise said...

I really enjoyed reading your answers to Sandra's questions! And it's wonderful to see some of your nature-inspired pieces that are new to me. Your work is lovely :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I loved reading your post, JanineMarie! It's always fun to learn more about others in our blogging community. I really love your landscapes - accidental or not - and they inspire me to try one of my own someday.

Margo Yang said...

Congratulations!! You certainly deserved the award. Your quilts are beautiful. I admire landscape quilts but too intimidated to try one. Thanks for keeping your blog and sharing us your works.

Patti said...

You are very deserving of the award. I would would love to do landscape quilts but--------! Maybe someday!

Susan Smith said...

I'm glad Sandra picked you and although I've only recently found your blog(through mmm.quilts), I enjoyed seeing those beautiful landscape quilts & your work is just lovely. I've found posting hard during the last year & my blog has wandered between quilting & our own local part of the state of Victoria, but look forward to seeing what others are up to on the quilting front still. Take care, stay safe & hugs from down under.

Lin said...

Congratulations! I always love seeing your beautiful work. xx

Allison said...

Lovely to find out more about you and the inspiration behind your quilts. Please do keep blogging (if it brings you pleasure) - you have much to offer our Worldwide Quilting Community :-)

Sandra Walker said...

I so enjoyed reading your responses! We are kindred spirits regarding our beloved lakes that surround our province/state, as well as kindred spirits about many others things too. Blogging is harder these days; people are wanting faster than ever, and turning to Instagram for quick posts, but for those of us that love the story, the process involved with quilt making be they art or for use on the couch, etc., Insta just doesn't cut it. I'm glad you still are posting; as Allison says, you have much to offer (ONE of these days I will investigate Ruth more - saw her years ago and was captivated, on Simply Quilts), and do a landscape of my Lake Erie view!