Friday, January 29, 2021

Pinkish

Happy new year of projects. I'm not really sure where I'm going, but I am pressing on. I'm starting with some small projects, one of which will continue little by little all year.

I did not participate in Angela's Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) at So Scrappy last year, choosing instead to focus on the Rachel's Quilter's Color Quest. This year, I'm going to sorta, kinda participate in RSC. I plan to make a Year of Scrappy Triangles, a tutorial by Leila Gardunia from 2017. These are 6-inch (finished) foundation paper pieced patterns, one block each week for 52 weeks. Here are my blocks for January (not trimmed down all the way):


The RSC color for this month is pink. Now, you can see that many of my scraps in these blocks are not pink. But look closer. Every patch has pink in it. My plan is to try to use up some of my multi-colored fabric scraps from my overflowing bin. The bin holds not only single scraps but some cut-off bits of blocks with more than one fabric. That's the bin on the upper left. The plastic punch bowl has a subgroup of those scraps that have pink in them. 

 
My "rules" for these blocks is to use as many multi-colored scraps as I can to make my blocks and then fill in with other scraps and pieces from my stash (which really could also be called scraps as most of the fabrics are much less than a quarter yard). For these pinkish blocks, I managed to use a different fabric for each patch. (That might not be possible every month.) I don't know yet what I will do for the other half of each block. I think I need to see how these go for the next few months before I decide. I'm also not sure how closely I'll follow the color for each month. I'm going to be flexible--maybe some months I'll check out the Monthly Color Challenge at Patterns by Jen and throw that color in as well or instead of.

But wait. There's more. I'm really, really tired of my old stash, so to perk myself up, I'm going to treat myself to some brand new fabrics in the color of the month, building a collection of some fun modern prints as well as some colorful low volumes, all quarter-yard cuts (unless I see something that I simply must have more of). This month I found these fat quarters at Lark Cottons:


I'm tempted to use them in my scrappy triangles, but I think I'll stick to the fabrics I already had on hand for those. Just going to pet those new ones for a bit.

This month, I also made a bunch of Bear Paw blocks in two-value combinations, and pieced a top from them and others I made last year for the Quilter's Color Quest. (Sorry, I forgot to take a photo of all the new blocks.) I added in some low volume strips to bring the blocks from 6 inches to 8 inches, and then joined 48 blocks to make a quilt top. Here are a couple pink blocks from that project.



That quilt is basted, and I started quilting it this week. I got slowed down by a pesky stitch-skipping problem. After a lot of trouble-shooting, I finally put in a denim needle, and it worked, although it sure does make a racket munching into the fabric. I'll share more about the quilt when it's finished. 

I'm linking up this week with Angela at So Scrappy for Scrap Happy Saturday and with Cynthia at Quilting is more Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap on Sunday.

I'm looking forward to digging in the scraps again next month and checking out some modern new fabrics in the next color. I'm wondering, do you find you need something to perk yourself up this year? If so, what works for you?

(Just a reminder: I'm not affiliated with any company, so when I mention products, services, or stores I'm just documenting what I used or liked.) 

 

17 comments:

Linda said...

I like those PP blocks! I have the same rules as you when it comes to RSC, I will dip into the stash if it's a FQ or smaller. I like your addition of fabrics other than all pink. I was digging around to make pink strings earlier this week when it occurred to me that my other scrap bins had fabrics with pinks here and there - so I made the plunge. I need to remember that!
Those new pinks are so pretty! Yes unfortunately I treated myself way too much after we moved and I got my sewing room in order. New fabric helps perk up the creative flow. :D

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sometimes the old fabric needs new fabric added to make it more interesting. I have so much old fabric to use it makes it more interesting if you can put a new piece in with it sometimes. Love your scrappy pieces.

grammajudyb said...

I’ll be interested to see your scrappy triangle blocks! I was tempted to do them in 2017, but I didn’t! I like pink bear paw blocks! So cute!

Margo Yang said...

I love scrappy quilts. Those blocks will make some wonderful quilts. Happy making for the new year.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice plan for your RSC21 participation. LOVE the idea of treating yourself to some new fabrics each month! You are off to a good start with those PINK ones. I'm SEW looking forward to seeing your completed Quilter's Quest quilt!! Best of luck with the quilting.

Susan Smith said...

Loved seeing what you are up to at the beginning of this, another strange year to be. My favourite colour is pink, but I don't participate in many challenges as I would probably get way behind, though I do like seeing what others are doing. My scraps bins are monstrous & I'm going to cull them this year and as for the stash, like you, a lot is quite old, but I'm madly designing to use a lot of it up & try hard(giggle) not to buy new unless I need a blender or background. Looking forward to seeing your progress through the year. Take care, stay safe & hugs from down under.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Sounds like a good plan! I like how you're thinking about refreshing your stash with new colors each month. I also like how you're adding hard-to-use multi colored accent prints to each of your color-of-the-month blocks.

Mari said...

These are such cute little triangles. (Though if they are 6 inches, they aren't that little!) If you make them in rainbow colors, however you put it together it will be a great quilt. And you so deserve some new infusions of fabric. They open up all kinds of new possibilities!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I need to treat myself (and my fabric stash) to something new now and then to perk it up! I like your bundle of pinks. The scrappy triangles are neat! I'll enjoy seeing what you do with them!

karenbbsnow said...

Some new fabric is the best pick me up, and like you I love to buy fat quarters. Those new pink fq's are so pretty.

Eli said...

Fun new fabrics! I like those triangles, too. I've been eating too many sweet treats to perk myself up....works in the moment, but long term is not the greatest tactic!

Louise said...

I love those new, modern pink fabrics! Very smart to reward yourself with some freshness; it is very motivating, I'm sure :)

Kris said...

Love the idea of scrappy triangles. The other side will be sort of a place of rest for the eyes.

Allison said...

I like your scrappy triangles and the way you are using multi-coloured scraps. The Bear Paws are great too - I so enjoyed making those as part of the Quilters Color Quest last year.
My treat to keep me going is joining in with a BOM that has teaching on several techniques I've only read about or tried very tentatively. I'm looking forward to getting absorbed in learning new things and using some new fabrics too ;-)

Kaja said...

I tried joining the RSC once, but never had enough of any colour, so your approach with the pink really appeals to me. So too does the idea of adding to stash in the colour of the month.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh the year of scrappy triangles - I like this!! it will be fun to watch as your grows!

Susie H said...

That's one thing I like about RSC: No real rules. Just use some of the color where you can in your sewing, preferably using scraps. The Bear Paws are awesome and a great RSC block.