Saturday, March 23, 2019

Bits of Green

It seemed that the month could just slip away from me here. I got involved in another quilt top this week--got it done, in fact--but a post will have to wait a bit. I did work my fingers off during the last two days, though, and have some green to show for my Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC19) projects. First up, some more crumb blocks. I focused on yellow green as that is one of the greens in the background fabric I hope to use with these blocks eventually. I'm still trying to keep the contrast kind of low, so I didn't have many fabrics to pick from, but I'm pleased with how they came out. 

Here they are with their partners from January and February:
And some on the background fabric (I'll trim them down to an even size later):
We'll see how this develops as I add more colors. There is a darker green in the background print, so I may sub that for another RSC color later in the year.

I also made more string pieced butterfly bits (based on the Butterfly Dance pattern by ellis and higgs). It probably would have been better to photograph them somewhere other than on green carpet. Oh well. I haven't figured out yet what I'll use for the background in each block.
Another of my planned RSC projects was to cut 2 1/2 inch squares and strings from my irregular shaped scraps to impose some order to my scrap bins. I did cut some strings from skinny pieces, but had a hard time getting myself to cut squares, and I think I figured out why. I make a lot of different kinds of quilts. Some of them are landscape quilts, and pre-cutting my fabrics into strips and squares does not appeal to me for those. I look at my fabrics and think that maybe I'll want a more irregular shaped piece--or larger piece. I can't picture how I might use a regular shape.This month, I found that that is particularly true with my green fabrics. A lot of them are tone-on-tone and would lend themselves well to landscape making. I think I'll have the same problem when working with my blues and turquoises. After cutting three or four squares I stopped. But I wonder how other quilters handle this issue. What are your thoughts on how you cut and store your scraps? Does my reluctance resonate with you? 

I'm linking up this week with Angela (of RSC fame) at So Scrappy for Scrap Happy Saturday and with Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!


Have fun quilting this coming week no matter how you cut and store your scraps.

18 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your blocks all look so good and will make great looking quilts!

Sheila said...

Love those bright scrappy blocks on the dark fabric. Looks like stained glass art.

Mari said...

I love your background fabric! The crumb blocks work great with it. I have a lot of those same greens. For my scraps, I usually leave them in big pieces until there's not very much left, then cut it into squares. For example, I might have a 5 or 6 inch square and use a strip of it for a string block or something, then cut the leftovers into squares of whatever size I can squeeze out. I do keep the squares separate from the larger scrap pieces. Have a great weekend!

grammajudyb said...

I do feel the same way you do. What if I need a 6x6 square for something? What if I might need just a scrap of odd shape for an applique project?
I mostly keep my fat quarters and smaller together by color. I have some 2.5" squares in a drawer, but not a lot! And at present, I am completely out of neutral 2'5" squares, so I will need to dig into some larger scraps for that project! It's never ending....maybe cutting as needed is a better way to go??

Cathy said...

I don’t cut my scraps down at all. If they’re naturally long, I’ll trim up the string edges, but beyond that I find it too confining. Possibilities for future use remain open, and whether they’re trimmed now or later renders the “timesaving” factor moot. I love your crum blocks. I do those too!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the addition of the greens to your red and yellow crumb blocks! I don't ever end up cutting my scraps into particular sizes either - just cut them when I need them!

Linda said...

I am enjoying your green inspiration this month!
I'm afraid my scraps fall into no category other than color. I still intend to organize my scraps this year, but I'm reluctant to cut them into any regular shape. Like Diann (above comment) I just cut them when I need them.

Sandra Walker said...

Oh yes, it does resonate with me. I still do cut some 2.5" squares, but I'd rather leave a hunk of weird-sized fabric and cut FROM that as needed. I love how your RSC project is shaping up, and love the string butterflies too. :-) I still have to put my RSC project into EQ so I can plan accordingly, which sounds dumb, but makes sense to me and once you see the design, you'll get it.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I usually cut to the largest size square I can get out of a scrap. It is nice to have squares ready for block construction. That being said, I don't do a lot of landscape quilting! Perhaps, sorting by color is enough for you.

Kathleen said...

Love that rainbow scrap project - it is really quite lovely. The little blocks are great too.

PaulaB quilts said...

I happen to have quite a few green jelly roll strips, which I try to use as needed. I’ve stopped cutting squares. Guess I’m in agreement then it’s better to cut is needed, giving me more choices in the end. Your little squares seem to be dancing especially with the three colors, how big are your little blocks ?

Jayne said...

Of all greens, yellow green is my favorite! Scraps!! I'll cut my print scraps into squares, but my solids I keep as is. All shapes and sizes until I'm ready to use them!

Bernie Kringel said...

I rarely cut into squares. If I have a lot of bits left from making Chemed Cozies for the shop, I will sometimes cut those into squares (because I often have tons of one fabric or another left over). I do like having some squares (2.5, 3,3.5, and 5 inches) that are pre-cut but I would say 90% of my scraps are sorted by color and STUFFED into bins.
I think your theory on landscape quilts makes total sense.

Love the string butterflies and crumb blocks. I know I have said this before but you have a great eye for color. I like that you are keeping your values close - it works well with this project. It sort of looks calmer - if that makes sense?

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

First, I love those butterfly blocks.

As to my Scrap storage, I don't cut my scraps for storage. I sort by color and stuff them in a bin.

Thanks for sharing your lovely projects with Oh Scrap!

Robby said...

I like your crumb blocks. That's a technique I've wanted to try but been concerned I would get into a big piece and decide it wasn't for me. I think making smaller "blocks" might be a good starter project, thanks for the idea.

I'm also not excited about cutting all my scraps up. I always think I will, and then think, but what if I want it different later. Time cutting is the same now or later, to me.

Claire said...

I love having squares already cut when I want to start a project that requires squares. So I cut scraps less than 10 x 10 inches into the largest square I can, on down. When I can't cut 1 1/2-inch squares any more the pieces go into my crumb jar. I have so many scraps that there are still big pieces when I need irregular shapes, LOL.

Preeti said...

Your blocks are lovely and the best part - they have so many possibilities. No, I do not cut up my scraps till I get to the scrap vortex stage and then all rules are out of the window except - "Do I like it or not"
Thanks to FOMO, I have jumped on the RSC bandwagon too.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

gosh, some of those blocks are teeny tiny. You have great patience