Saturday, September 22, 2018

Dark Blue

Another month, another Rainbow Scrap Challenge color. 
I knew I'd have these done early in the month.
I was Gramma nesting, waiting for our new grandson to make his appearance. 
I actually had the strips cut before the month even started. It was a lucky guess that the color would be dark blue.

I had plenty of fabrics to work with, many from very long ago. (So many memories in these scraps.)
I didn't think I would like working with a dark color, but it was actually easier to find outlier colors for these blocks than for some of the others--I guess because there was such good contrast.
I got them all finished in a day or so, and then zoomed on to dark green. You know how it is with nesting. Keep busy, keep busy. Waiting, waiting.
I'm not going to show you the dark green blocks, yet. That would not be appropriate.

In my rush, I forgot to make a collage this month of all of the colors so far. 

But I did make a whole quilt top with half of my RSC18 blocks. How's that for nesting?
Our grandson arrived a week early, or that top might even have been quilted. I will wait to show you the whole thing until after the October blocks are revealed, but here's a peek at a bit of it. The layout is much simpler and more sedate than the ones I played with throughout the year, but I like it. 
For the last week and a half, we've been enjoying cuddling our grandson and seeing how sweet his older brother is with him. Now we are home again. (It is oddly quiet.) My nesting feeling is gone, but wow, what a productive time it was! 

The air is distinctively autumnish here today--right on schedule. What a wonderful time of year to have a bunch of blocks done to make into cozy quilts.

I'm linking up today with Angela at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday. Tomorrow I'll link up with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap! 

I hope your scraps have been fun for you this month. 

12 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love all your strip blocks I really need to do something like this with all my strips when we get back home - I have so many of them.

Vicki in MN said...

I love string quilts, it will be fun to see the reveal of the whole quilt;)

Linda said...

"Gramma nesting" - yes! You got a lot done. I'm looking forward to seeing more! I love the darker blues.
Glad you enjoyed you got to enjoy some good Gramma time. :)

Louise said...

Wow! You really used that nesting/waiting time wisely! Your blue blocks look great with the pops of brighter color, and I'm liking what I'm seeing in the glimpse of the finished top :)

PaulaB quilts said...

So happy for you with the new little one! Your blocks bring back memories, like the paisley and the little flowers.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful blocks, as always ;)

KaHolly said...

You go, gramma! Looking good!

Cathy said...

Congrats, Grandma! You certainly put your “nesting” time to good use! That quilt is going to be a stunner!!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

String blocks are my favorite. Thanks for sharing yours with Oh Scrap!

Mari said...

"Grandma nesting," I love it! It certainly seems to have worked out. I love that you put a contrasting strip in each of these blocks. Can't wait to see the finished project! Won't be long now.

Bernie Kringel said...

Gramma nesting -what a cute phrase. I am Grammy-resting as the past week was a blur of activity. The kids left today and while I didn't want them to go, I need the quiet. It was so much fun but its time to get back to the real world.

Kaja said...

I like the notion of Grandma nesting and you definitely used your time productively, before you stopped to concentrate on cuddling.