Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Wedding Gift Part II: 2AM Quilt

And now for the finish. If you haven't already read Part I, you might want to now--or later--whatever you wish. First, the on-the-neighbor's-fence shots, because, well, nearly every one of my quilts ends up there at some point. I wasn't thrilled with the lighting here. It was overcast, but kind of harsh, but it is the best way to show the whole quilt. You'll notice that I meander quilted it (on my treadle). I thought that was best since there was so much going on in the quilt already. I was planning to bind it with a low volume print, but realized that I had enough of the solids to make a scrap binding. 

And here's the back. I couldn't resist a more modern vibe on the back using the leftover solids (plus a Moda feather).

My only rule for the binding was that the colors would be randomly distributed with no color touching a backing patch of the same color. See that monogrammed square at the lower left? It's paper-pieced shorthand for the initials of my niece and her husband. She's taking his last name, and their first names both start with A. How fun is that? I hope it doesn't predict any sleepless nights on the couch for either of them!

Not content with fence pictures, I tried some in the yard. 

(Ooh, see that dry grass back there? Most of our grass looks that way this summer, except under the maples.) This photo is a good representation of the actual colors in the quilt. 

How about a tree picture?
Still not satisfied, I decided to take the quilt to our local university. I'll save those for last--They're my favorites. But first some post-washing crinkly photos. 



If you look closely, you can see my initials and date. But, really, I'll be the only one that knows they're there.



Our university has carillon concerts on summer evenings under the ancient trees on campus..It's a lovely place to enjoy a picnic, watch children play and listen to music from around the world. So I took my quilt with one evening to do some on-location pictures. Here's one of the massive trees:
And with my quilt:


 And three more on a nearby bench:


Now some quick stats, and then I'm done. 
Quilt pattern (resized): Tone-It-Down, Lissa Anderson, February 2014 American Patchwork and Quilting. Original back and monogram
Block size: 18 3/4 inches
Quilt size: 71 inches square; 66 3/4 inches square after washing (about 6 % shrinkage)
Materials: Solids, mostly Kona; various low volume prints.
Batting: Quilter's Dream Cotton Select
Binding: 3/8 inch; machine-sewn to front, hand stitched to back
Piecing Thread: Superior Masterpiece in Granite
Quilting Thread: Superior King Tut Cotton in White Linen
Pieced on Singer Featherweight and Free Motion Quilted on Singer 115 treadle. 

I'm linking this post with Crazy Mom Quilts and Free Motion Mavericks, but they're both on blog-cation, so those links will come later. Also with Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop and Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday. You can hit the buttons on the sidebar when those links become active.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! 

21 comments:

JoEllen said...

Beautiful quilt! Love the colors!

Lin said...

Beautiful! A what a lovely gift to receive - lucky couple. xx

Joy said...

I love the interest a low volume background adds to a quilt, as well as how quilting can elevate it to the next level. This is a great quilt.

Mari said...

Such a beautiful quilt Janine! I love this pattern and your execution is really well done. It looks almost vintage! The colors are perfect and the backing adds a real punch. It's like getting 2 quilts in one. I hope "2AM" know what a treasure they've gotten!

Gina said...

A great quilt and some wonderful photos of it. I love the label and the story behind it xx

Bernie Kringel said...

Oh, where to start.
First with your sense of color. It is so pretty Janine, so so pretty. Love the color of the cornerstone blocks - Perfect. The colors are very soft and soothing. Then the scrappy binding!! I LOVE scrappy bindings. The pieced back is for when they are feeling modern - like receiving two quilts in one. Oh, 2AM - you are just gonna love this quilt. What a lovely gift.

Claire said...

Second try after google ate my first try. Shorter version. I like it. :-)

Kaja said...

It looks even better quilted and bound! I like the back too, and the scrappy binding, and that you have sneaked your initials into the binding. I bet they'll be thrilled.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This is beautiful! I love those bright colors against the scrappy low volume background. Thanks for linking to TGIFF. It is a beautiful finish!

Marly said...

Nice and colourful and happy! I love the quilting details, and to think you did all that on a treadle! Wow!

Karen said...

Very pretty fun quilt. I am sure it will be loved.

Jayne said...

Oh my goodness! I love this quilt, and not just because you used solids! It's just beautiful! The back is pure perfection. The perfect double sided quilt for anyone. And of course, the added touch of the paper pieced letters is very personal! I love all your photos too! So many great ones that really show off your quilt!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a gorgeous quilt - a wonderful finish front and back :)

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I love it!!

Jen said...

Love the wrinkles after washing.... so cuddly. The trees are perfect for these pics.
Great finish!

Rachel said...

Very pretty! I really like the fun 2AM label!

Louise said...

Beautiful!! I'm sure they will cherish it always!

Preeti said...

Very happy, so bright and joyful. The best part - you made two completely different quilts and I love them both.
Hugs,
Preeti.

Nancy said...

Gosh, this is just a gorgeous quilt! I'm so admiring your colors and color combinations -- the pastel prints with the bright solids. Gorgeous. I wish I'd made this quilt!
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Carol said...

I love this version of this quilt...I have seen several since it was a sew along, but I think yours may be my favorite. Love the back too. Nice work!

Muv said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks - your quilt is this week's project!
Love, Muv