Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Last Two Blocks

Just a quick post today. I finished the last two blocks of the Big Quilt this week, and here they are!






I've also worked hard to sew the nine blocks together. Because the edges of the blocks are on the bias, I was hoping to keep the freezer paper on the backs to keep the quilt from stretching out of shape while doing that, but at some point it was just too cumbersome, so I peeled it all off. So much easier (and satisfying) than removing paper foundations that have been stitched through. I wasn't sure if freezer paper is recyclable because of the plastic coating, but I called our recycling center, and they said it was fine and told me which bin to toss it in. I'm glad about that because I used a LOT of paper on this quilt and didn't want to just throw it in the trash. Anyway, to keep the blocks as stable as possible, I stay stitched around each one. 

I took some pictures of the completed top, and I can't wait to share, but you'll have to wait until Friday to see it. 

I'm linking up today with Freemotion by the River for Linky Tuesday, Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday, and Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social. Buttons are on the right. 

Remember to check back Friday for the finish (and maybe some questions about the quilting) and a preview of my next project.
See ya.

7 comments:

andrea @ tideline quilts said...

I just love your fresh, modern quilt! It is so pleasing to the eye, and beautifully pieced! Can't wait to see it quilted! Awesome job!

Lara B. said...

Stitching around the edges of the blocks is a great idea Janine Marie. I starch the heck out of fabric if I know it will end up with edges on the bias and that helps a lot too.
Well I can hardly wait to see the whole top of Friday!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

DItto! Looking forward to seeing how you quilt it!

Ann said...

It's looking AMAZING!

Kristen said...

I'm so excited to see your finished quilt!

Lisa in Port Hope said...

Great job matching all the points on the seams!

Lorna McMahon said...

Me too! I am so looking forward to seeing your Friday finish, Janine Marie. This is going to be one big, bold and beautiful quilt. Got my thinking cap on regarding the quilting.....