Now that I'm back, I've gotten quite a bit done this week on my latest project, a quilt for my granddaughter as she gets ready to move from her crib to a big girl bed. I'm using leftover fabric from her nursery decor and baby quilt along with some purchased white/gray fabric. The pattern is simple--charm-size squares with sashes. Because I'm using several fabrics for the sashes for a kind of scrappy look, I'm making a little more piecing work for myself by using cornerstones. I was going to use gray fabric with a white pattern for the cornerstones, but decided that it looked too dark and a little more traditional than I wanted. It took forever to lay everything out so that it looked random. There is no such thing as random, I guess, unless you dump all your fabric pieces into a paper bag and use whatever you pull out. I just can't let myself do that; I'm always fiddling with the placement. Anyway, here's what it looked like up on the design "wall":
And here's a close-up of that scrappy background:
I kept tweaking the placement after I took these. I did get a little more than half the rows pieced yesterday. The finished quilt will actually be a little bigger, but I'm waiting to add the outer rows until I know the mattress thickness, and then I'll figure out how much needs to hang over the edge. I might do something with some partial blocks. Stay tuned. And then, of course, there will be the fun of piecing a back...
Today I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced Modern Quilts for WIP Wednesday.