Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Triangles

Oh, the weather outside is frightful,
But my home is so delightful,
And since I've no place to go,
Let me sew, let me sew, let me sew.




Well the sun was shining there when I took the picture on Monday, but it's still messy out and cold, cold, cold. A good day for sewing.      

While I'm waiting for a fabric order for a big project (I found half of what I needed in my local stores, but had to order the rest), I'm working on a sweet little quilt, Gently Down the Stream, by Christina Cameli from Quilter's Newsletter's Fat Quarter Quilts Fall 2014. It's an equilateral triangle quilt--my first, but I'm pretty sure not my last. 
                                                                                                                                  
The strips are all cut and sewn together.
Starting to cut triangles

If it wasn't so cold out, I'd probably go to the store and treat myself to one of those nifty 60-degree triangle templates. But I've figured out how to tape some guides to my ruler to help me cut. 


I don't  know why that picture is rotated, but you get the idea. If you look really closely, you might be able to see faint registration lines on the templates to help me line up the seams on the strips so I cut them the right way.   

Here's what the triangles will look like when sewn together:
       

Fun way to spend a snowy week. I'm linking up this week with Freemotion by the River for Linky Tuesday and Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social. Oh, and Freshly Pieced, too, for WIP Wednesday. (Wasn't sure she be here this week, but she is.)
    





7 comments:

Claire said...

Look at your thumbnail and think large quilt. Cool, eh? That was how I saw it. Meanwhile, I think what you are really doing will look good too. That is a lot of snow!

Late Night Quilter said...

I LOVE these diamonds!!!!! They are so cute, and I am guessing, addictive.

PaintedThread said...

Those look neat! I'll be curious what it looks like all pieced together.

the zen quilter said...

Oh I love this so much - I'm really into diamonds right now...

Lorna McMahon said...

Yes, I agree about the weather. It is cold and we have gotten lots of snow, too. Perfect for staying in and sewing. Your strip pieced triangles turned into diamonds are really pretty. You know I love triangle quilts! Looking forward to seeing this one come together, Janine Marie!

Lucy said...

thats a lot of snow :) I love those triangles and how you turned them into diamonds xxx www.crazyforpurple.com

Kaja said...

Right now I wish I could get snowed in and just sew! I love your triangles/diamonds and will steal your idea of using tape on the cutting board (up till now I have resorted to biro marks).