Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Birthday Puppies

Last week, Karen at Kaholly posted that she had a birthday coming up and her wish was for Dog Gone Cute blocks (pattern by Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts) that she could make into wallhangings and other items for an auction fundraiser to support a pet rescue agency in Texas that is helping victims of Hurricane Harvey. 

So Happy Birthday, Karen!! 


I had so much fun making these. They really are like potato chips. (I think there will be a few more before I'm ready to send them.) I like tiny piecing, so I chose to make them in puppy size (6 by 9 inches plus seam allowance). The hardest part was choosing which fabrics to use. I've made a Dog Gone Cute block before. That was in blues and turquoises, and I changed it a bit to look like my granddog as it was for my grandson's baby quilt. I think I might have paper pieced parts of it. But I decided to make these in more realistic doggy colors and stuck to the pattern and instructions, working really slowly to try to get my seam allowances/size accurate (or close enough), my seams pressed smoothly open, and my backs neat. Is anyone else really self conscious about block backs when you give blocks away? My block backs are usually so messy--thready, with seams not lying down where they are meant to. It all gets covered up in the quilt, but giving a block away is so exposing! Maybe I should use starch or a starch alternative. Does that help keep things neat? I've always assumed it does, but don't really know. (I probably still won't use starch if it does. It makes me sneeze.) 

I remember that when I watched all of the people being rescued in the flooding from the hurricane, I was struck by how many pets were rescued along with them under such difficult circumstances. Some of the animals seemed bewildered, but they looked so calm, trusting their rescuers and families to keep them safe. So many pets. And then I was impressed with how quickly agencies responded to shift animals to shelters around the country so that they could help displaced families stay as close as possible to their pets. 

I enjoy seeing how my granddog is a much loved part of life for my son, daughter-in-law and grandson. He's a goofy rescue dog, and watching him develop such a fun relationship with my grandson helps me see how close that bond can be between pets and their people. I'm sure all the pets rescued in the hurricane are a source of great comfort to their families as they reunite and begin rebuilding their lives.

Isn't it neat that Karen is making these wallhangings and other quilted goodies? They will celebrate pets, honor the rescuers, and provide needed funds for pet food and supplies. What a great gift! 

So thanks, Karen. Thanks, pet rescuers. And thanks, Lorna, for such a delightful pattern. I can't wait to see the finished items for the auction.

I'm linking up today with Sew Fresh Quilts (of course!!) for Let's Bee Social.

8 comments:

Preeti said...

As soon as I am done with my September OMG, I am jumping on KaHolly's Doggone Bandwagon. Love your puppies. Will you please check on me in the second week of October? Need someone to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Beth said...

I had the same thoughts you did. When I saw people and their pups being airlifted into a helicopter, dangling in the air, twisting and twirling, I was so anxious but those dogs seemed so secure in their owners's arms.

We have three rescue dogs from a group in San Antonio (CARE aka Cressie) and the thought that if the timing had been different, our own pups could have been caught in the horrendous, deadly rain and flooding is almost more than I can bear to think about, so I've been making kennel quilts as a way to comfort animals who have been rescued, and say a small thank you to the rescuers. Hooray for Karen for coming up with such a wonderful idea.

Sandra Walker said...

Okay I SAW your puppies (maybe on Instagram? in a different linky?) I dunno, but somehow I missed this post...until I saw them on Lorna's Let's Bee Social. And now here I am! Karen's idea is superb, and now that I have my quilt and post done for the Meadow Dance hop, I intend to make her a couple too. Preeti and I will be checking up on each other!

Bernie Kringel said...

This is so cute -- I was wondering what you had planned for these blocks when I saw them on IG.

Yes --I am more 'careful' with donated blocks because that back is exposed. I totally get that.

Nice idea for Karen's birthday - she is so sweet.

Linda said...

These are so cute! LOL on potato chips! :) Yes I am very self-conscious on backs when I give them away.
Honestly, I cried almost constantly watching the flooding victims, but I cried the hardest when I thought about all the homeless, stray animals. Our 3 kitties and dog were strays, and oh my, I can't stand thinking about it. :(
Kudos to you and all the other contributors for doing this!

Susan said...

She is such a sweet lady. I really like the fabrics you used - very dog-like.

Louise said...

Super cute puppies! The light fabrics you used really look like white fur with stray hairs and a bit tousled as dog muzzles tend to get. I can completely relate to wanting donation blocks to look neater than my regular blocks...

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

I was so happy to see the pets being rescued as well during this horrible tragedy. What a great idea she had, and your blocks are beautiful.

-Soma