Monday, February 13, 2017

House Pattern (sort of)

Woohoo! I had lots of fun responses to my house blocks that I posted last week. In fact, some bloggers asked if I was going to publish a pattern or tutorial of the house with the log cabin style piecing. Now if you read my blog, you'll know I have trouble being succinct. Giving clear directions is probably not my forte. So here's what I'm going to do: I'm posting my graph paper design here. I cleaned it up today. If you are a foundation paper piecing enthusiast, I'm sure you can figure out how to draw your own block from my photos. But here's the good news for those of you who would prefer instructions. Janice from Color, Creating and Quilting has offered to write a tutorial to go along with the graph design. Isn't that neat?? She'll guide you through the process better than I ever could.  

To refresh your memory, here's the finished block:


So here are just a few things to know about the pattern:
It's drawn on 1/4 inch graph paper--I had to tape two pieces together to make it big enough.
The finished block is 9-1/2 inches (10 with seam allowance). 
Add 1-3/4 inch borders (including seam allowance) to bring the block up to 12-1/2 inches (12 inches finished). I make the borders extra wide so I can trim them accurately. 
The logs are 3/4 inches wide (you can use the graph paper lines for the vertical and horizontal lines). 
A, B, C, D and E represent the main colors. (Refer to the photo for a guide)
Bkg=background fabric(s)
SA=Seam Allowance
Numbers 1 through 25 = order of piecing.

Trace the pattern onto foundation paper of your choice. (I use unprinted newsprint from a moving supply store.) No need to reverse the pattern--I've already done it for you.

Here are the graph patterns:



Have fun, and be watching for Janice's detailed instructions on her blog. (No timeline yet, but I'll alert you when the tutorial is up.) I'll link this up this week to Tuesday Tips and Tutorials by Late Night Quilter and Quilting Jetgirl and to Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social.



10 comments:

Bernie Kringel said...

How great to collaborate together and produce a tutorial. We have the best on-line community - very kind. :-)

Ariane said...

This is such a sweet house block. Love it!!

Lin said...

Well thank you very much. We are on hols at the moment so I had just quickly drawn this onto a small piece of squared paper planning to scale it up when we got home, now you have saved me some time. Thank you. xx

Verria said...

Fell in love with this block as soon as I saw it. Thank you so much!

Lena Pugacheva said...

I haven't seen your block before, and I think it's really sweet, especially in that pink ombre! Thanks for sharing your design.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

This is a fantastic block! Thank you for sharing and linking up. :)

Sandra Walker said...

Love your block; well I love all the blocks you made for the Quebec City mosque families. So glad there is a tutorial here and another by Janice! We need more pink and red hearts, i.e. love in our world, right? Thanks for sharing this!

Cathy Melancon said...

Such a wonderful block!! I have never seen anything like it! I love to paper piece so thank you for wanting to share your pattern!

Preeti said...

The gradation of colors gives a beautiful depth effect to the house. And the heart in the center is like the sanctum sanctorum in the temple. Thank you for the tutorial. You rock!!!

Rachel said...

Great design! I love the idea of the log cabin as an actual house! Pretty!